Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Big Sur 11.1 a Universal Binary in itself?

I have an Intel and a new M1 Mac Mini. I want to use an external clone of the Intel Mini as a BOOT drive on the M1 Mini. Thus allowing me to begin testing all my applications on the M1 silicon.

I made a spare fill backup of my Intel Mini using Carbon Copy Cloner to and external drive.

I then upgraded my Intel Mini to Big Sur 11.1 and spent a while testing. All works fine.

I then used CCC to make another external clone of the Big Sur 11.1 but the M1 Mini refuses to let me boot from it. I have already used Recovery Mode to allow booting from external drives.

When I use Startup Disk I can pick the external. When I click Restart I am asked am I sure and I enter my admin password. After a few seconds "Unable to set startup disk" dialog appears with "SDErrorDomain error 104"

Bottom line question: is it possible to create a universal Big Sur external boot drive that works on all Big Sur compatible Intel and M1 macs?

Edit: and I know Rosetta 2 will help me with older software for years to come but I still want to make a universal boot Big Sur.

thank you

qb

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 7:14 AM

qbpals wrote:

I then used CCC to make another external clone of the Big Sur 11.1 but the M1 Mini refuses to let me boot from it. I have already used Recovery Mode to allow booting from external drives.

Per the developer's website— M1 clones are not bootable at this time, however still a viable backup of the M1 Big Sur...

The system now resides on a "Signed System Volume." This volume is cryptographically sealed, and that seal can only be applied by Apple; ordinary copies of the System volume are non-bootable without Apple's seal. To create a functional copy of the macOS 11 System volume, we have to use an Apple tool to copy the system, or install macOS onto the backup.

ref: https://bombich.com/blog

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 7:14 AM in response to qbpals

qbpals wrote:

Per the developer's website— M1 clones are not bootable at this time, however still a viable backup of the M1 Big Sur...

The system now resides on a "Signed System Volume." This volume is cryptographically sealed, and that seal can only be applied by Apple; ordinary copies of the System volume are non-bootable without Apple's seal. To create a functional copy of the macOS 11 System volume, we have to use an Apple tool to copy the system, or install macOS onto the backup.

ref: https://bombich.com/blog

Dec 16, 2020 7:27 AM in response to leroydouglas

Wow! Thank you leroydouglas - this was extremely helpful. And as always Bombich software is just great. I'll standby and see what the future of Big Sur provided. I do see the blog about BS and M1 bootablity is from before 11.1. However as I cannot get an external 11.1 to boot my M1 Mini that the issues is likely still the reason. thank you again.

qb

Is Big Sur 11.1 a Universal Binary in itself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.