Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur 11.1. upgrade removed all my fonts, neither can I install new fonts

After upgrading to 11.1 all my custom installed Fonts are missing.

They were in /Library/Fonts and ~/Users/User/Library/Fonts/

I was also using a symbolic link (ln) from the system folders to a Dropbox folder, to have all fonts synced on my computers. Even after removing the symlink I can't get it running.

I am also not able to Install new fonts via FontBook. No error. New fonts are just not added to the list.

When installing new fonts, they appear in the /Library/Fonts folder, but aren't visible in FontBook or any app (Adobe CS).

What can I do? Before 11.1 upgrade everything was working.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2020 12:34 PM

I will try to answer part of your question. With Big Sur, all Apple installed fonts -all- are located in the Fonts folder which is located in the System folder's Library folder. None of these fonts can be removed or added to by any method. They are write protected. User installed fonts may still be installed. They should be found in the Fonts folder which is located in the

User's folder, I believe. I am sure that your installed fonts are still preserved somewhere. Try doing a search for a font you installed which has a unique name and see where it is located.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2020 12:34 PM in response to morphix9

I will try to answer part of your question. With Big Sur, all Apple installed fonts -all- are located in the Fonts folder which is located in the System folder's Library folder. None of these fonts can be removed or added to by any method. They are write protected. User installed fonts may still be installed. They should be found in the Fonts folder which is located in the

User's folder, I believe. I am sure that your installed fonts are still preserved somewhere. Try doing a search for a font you installed which has a unique name and see where it is located.

Dec 16, 2020 12:41 PM in response to Ronasara

Thanks Ronasara for the explanaition. I hope I can still use the symlink on the User's Library folder.

I've done now a "Fonts cache restore" and restart. This worked. I finally see the installed fonts in FontBook.

Very very strange behavior after the upgrade. Must be a bug in 11.1.

The custom installed fonts are now in /Library/Fonts and not under ~/Users/User/Library/Fonts.

Big Sur 11.1. upgrade removed all my fonts, neither can I install new fonts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.