Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Big Sur - known bugs?

Anyone notices these bugs or knows how to fix them?

1. Startup is slow - over 30 seconds (unlike less than 10 for Cata)
  2. The user name on the log-in window does not change even after I changed it in system pref's Apple ID (and it changed there).
  3. WiFi signal appears weaker now - 2 bars versus 3 bars for Cata.
  4. Some 3rd party software (GIMP) is responding sluggishly - there's a delay reaction to all tools.
  5. TextEdit tends to jump to the top (sometimes only) after "pasting" when I re-edit. What's the cause?
  6. TextEdit also has many copies to "revert" back to. Does that take up space - and how to delete or clear them?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 3:47 AM

Best to send Apple your Feedback to help with was is perceived issues.

4 replies

Dec 17, 2020 5:29 AM in response to Barney-15E

1. So you never "Shut Down"? Is that better? In "Sleep" rather than "Shut Down"?
  2. I'm talking about the "Login-in" main user name besides the "Guest" sign in. Also why do they not allow you to have an avatar icon for each guest user created?
  3. Mine sure did and very noticable.
  4. There's no alternative found except the costly Photoshop.
  5. What alternatives?
  6. How to remove or delete the duplicates is my concern.

Dec 17, 2020 4:30 AM in response to BL2323

1) The OS is booted from a Snapshot, now. The creation of that snapshot and securing it may be what is taking longer. I have no idea, though, as I never restart except for updates.

2) I've never seen my AppleID used in the Login screen. Your AppleID should be independent of the user accounts on the Mac (login screen names). You will need to explain in more detail as I'm not sure what you are changing in AppleID System Prefs which you think is somehow related to the login accounts.

3) Mine hasn't changed.

4) GIMP is one gigantic mess. I have only tried using it once a long time ago and it was sluggish, quirky, and completely un-Mac-like. Do you have a better example of a 3rd-party app that was actually written specifically for use on macOS?

5) I don't use TextEdit enough to know if it does that or not. There quite a few better (and free) text editors.

6) Versions are supposed to store only the "chunks" that changed, thus not complete duplicates of the documents.

Dec 17, 2020 5:54 AM in response to BL2323

1) I don't shut down, either.

2) Those are user accounts on the Mac. As I stated, they have nothing to do with your AppleID. You can change the name of your user account, but it often ends in problems as nobody seems to follow the steps exactly as written.

You don't create multiple guest accounts. There is only one Guest account. When you log out, everything is deleted and settings reverted to defaults. There is no need to change the icon.

If you want to create permanent accounts for people, do that in Users & Groups. You can edit the icon there.

4) Affinity Photo (Affinity has suite of products similar to Adobe's), Pixelmator (Pro)

5) BBEdit, SubethaEdit, Sublime, Brackets, … and more listed hhttps://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/macos-delete-this-version/

If you are using TextEdit as a word processor, Pages is much better.

6) https://www.macobserver.com/tips/quick-tip/macos-delete-this-version/

OS Big Sur - known bugs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.