Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

modem option missing

I'm trying to follow this guide Connect your Mac to the internet using a dial-up modem but I can't find the option to add a modem on my Mac.

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Where should I find the modem option?

Thanks a lot.

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 3:25 AM

7 replies

Dec 17, 2020 4:42 PM in response to Barney-15E

It's a modem with an RS232 serial port. It's connected to the MacBook via a USB <-> RS232 converter and is recognised as a serial port. That's how modems have worked since 1962.

RS232 can be used for many things and MacOS should not automatically assume that any RS232 device connected to it is a modem. So it shouldn't recognize the device as such.

However according to the Apple documentation I should be able to add a Modem in the network configuration and then choose the serial port it's using. Except the option to add a Modem is missing on my MacBook.

I can't find anything about this being an optional add-on package to install but it should, according to Apple's documentation, be included in Catalina and also Big Sur (I can't upgrade yet because I need to use software that isn't compatible with Big Sur). The only other thing I could think of is that Apple silently removed support for serial modems and forgot to update the documentation.

modem option missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.