Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the "Security Update 2020-001 Catalina" install BigSur and replace Catalina 10.15.7?

Ordinarily I would just download the security update but I do not want BigSur, still digging out from the Catalina upgrade. Not finding replacement tools for those crippled by Catalina, so I'm not anxious to move to something further out of possibility. I don't surf around on this machine, I use it to work and it is already near useless. It shows a download size of 1.38GB so I am sort of suspicious it is the new OS. I'm just trying to find out whether the security update will "update" the OS or leave it where I am, half way back to a workable situation.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 8:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2020 8:45 AM

No. This is just an update for Catalina. After you apply it, you will still have the “update pending" badge on the System Preferences icon. When if you open System Preferences > Software Update, you will need to make sure to avoid the Big Sur upgrade. The dialog will look like this:

Look for the Catalina update in the circled area. I’ve already applied it on my computer, so the “update” button is gone, but that’s the one you want.

And make sure to click the “Advanced” button and verify that it looks like this:

This will make sure you get the minor updates that don’t require a restart.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2020 8:45 AM in response to 22busy

No. This is just an update for Catalina. After you apply it, you will still have the “update pending" badge on the System Preferences icon. When if you open System Preferences > Software Update, you will need to make sure to avoid the Big Sur upgrade. The dialog will look like this:

Look for the Catalina update in the circled area. I’ve already applied it on my computer, so the “update” button is gone, but that’s the one you want.

And make sure to click the “Advanced” button and verify that it looks like this:

This will make sure you get the minor updates that don’t require a restart.

Dec 17, 2020 9:30 AM in response to 22busy

22busy wrote:

I have the settings as shown though it does say a restart is required. Part of what made me ask.

Yes. Updates on the main page may require an update, but not always. Those security updates from the “Advanced” page never require a restart. They are only data file updates.

Still can't find a replacement for my minify app at the app store so I'm transferring files back to my laptop (HighSierra) to optimize css files for upload - but that's a different problem.

Which minify app? I found this one and it seems to work fine in Catalina or Big Sur. I would think you could find dozens of such apps.

Dec 17, 2020 9:04 AM in response to etresoft

Thank you etresoft.

I have the settings as shown though it does say a restart is required. Part of what made me ask.

When I upgraded to Catalina, it was accidental. I had intended to upgrade to HighSierra from El Capitan. Those changes were much more than I'd bargained for at a very busy time of year and suddenly needed new everything. Still can't find a replacement for my minify app at the app store so I'm transferring files back to my laptop (HighSierra) to optimize css files for upload - but that's a different problem. Your answer will let me upgrade what I have so I appreciate your taking the time to respond. It lets me feel safer. Thank you!

Dec 18, 2020 6:55 AM in response to etresoft

Thank you again! I have been searching at the app store and only two such apps showed up, both with unwanted features and poor ratings. Maybe because I was searching for a css compression tool rather than a minify tool. This does look better and a lot easier than swapping files back and forth to the laptop. It looks similar to the old one I used for years. I will revisit the app store.

BTW, the security update installed smoothly (though slowly) and it seems to have fixed a number of issues I had seen since that accidental update. I prefer turning off my machine and then starting it (which does not work) to using 'restart' but I gave in and did it their way and it went fine. When it says "restart to install' that's exactly what you need to do.

I know I'll need to go to BigSur one day, just don't want to be in the first wave. The latest updates add on a lot of 'cool features' which I have no use for - and less when they break my tools.

Thank you again etresoft, I do appreciate your help here!

Dec 18, 2020 9:25 AM in response to 22busy

I installed that Minify app, used it on two files and then removed it. It doesn't minify the files so much as gzip them. I don't need an app for that. It has not been updated for years and when I used it, it popped up a window to a different site that showed a different owner and was not a secure site. It left a lot of manual editing to actually minify the file to remove unnecessary whitespace. For example the ending semicolons remained as in '16px; } ' which should have been '16px}' and it left a space after the closing bracket } and the ':' for each element.

I decided to just write my own apple script...when I have free time. I still appreciate the suggestion, it might have been just what I was looking for. Just thought anyone who might stumble onto this should know what it is.

Does the "Security Update 2020-001 Catalina" install BigSur and replace Catalina 10.15.7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.