Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur - iCloud drive folder sharing

Hello,

I set up an iCloud shared folder on my MBP (early 2015) and had invited a friend to use it with his MBP (2019). After receiving the invitation email, he can use the shared folder that I created to add, remove or update files within this folder. Since, everything is working as expected.

But, this friend wanted to share a folder with me from his iCloud Drive. He did the same sharing procedure that I did. I did receive the sharing confirmation email. When I try to access to this shared folder, I receive a message "the content is not available", "The owner has stopped the sharing or you are not authorize to open this content". What's wrong with his MPB? He never changed any defaut setting on his computer.

Any guidance to assist me to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 5:54 AM

JBDEL,

Thank you for taking the time to confirm that you’ve checked the sharing settings for him. If the settings are the same on the folder you created to share with him as they are on the one you both created to share with you, let’s look into other possible causes for your error.

Are you able to successfully access a shared iCloud Drive folder from someone other than your friend? Are you able to ask him to share the folder with another iCloud user to see if they can see his shared folder? This will help us determine where the disconnect is. 

If you haven’t already, you might also log into the iCloud website to see if you can access each other’s shared iCloud folder from there. This will help us isolate between your account and your devices. The article we shared in our first response has an “On iCloud.com” section that will help.

All our best.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2020 5:54 AM in response to JBDEL

JBDEL,

Thank you for taking the time to confirm that you’ve checked the sharing settings for him. If the settings are the same on the folder you created to share with him as they are on the one you both created to share with you, let’s look into other possible causes for your error.

Are you able to successfully access a shared iCloud Drive folder from someone other than your friend? Are you able to ask him to share the folder with another iCloud user to see if they can see his shared folder? This will help us determine where the disconnect is. 

If you haven’t already, you might also log into the iCloud website to see if you can access each other’s shared iCloud folder from there. This will help us isolate between your account and your devices. The article we shared in our first response has an “On iCloud.com” section that will help.

All our best.

Dec 21, 2020 3:36 PM in response to JBDEL

Hi, JBDEL.

We understand how important it is to be able to collaborate with your peers remotely, and we’d like to see if we can help you and your friend share iCloud folders. You mentioned that you are able to share with him, and he can access and edit the contents of the folder. However, when he creates an iCloud folder to share with you, you get the invitation but are unable to access the contents.

If we’re on the same page, do you know if he has made any modifications to the folder that he created and shared? For example, if he removes participants, changes the share settings, or deletes the folder you’ll see the error that you’re receiving.

Share folders with iCloud Drive - Apple Support

We appreciate you taking the time to post in the Apple Support Communities.

Warmest Regards.

Dec 21, 2020 4:18 PM in response to bailier

Hello bailier,

Your understanding is correct.

I know for sure that he hasn't made any modifications. He is new to the MBP so I was telling him how to create and share a folder. In fact, he created the folder and shared it right away without changing any settings. I agree with you that the message I am receiving let us believe that he changed the folder settings. But I am sure that it's not the case. In addition I provided him with assistance to share an existing folder but unfortunately when I tried to access to this new shared folder, I received the same message. Very strange!

What else could I try?

Best regards,

Dec 27, 2020 6:35 AM in response to karina184

Hello karina184,

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately along the suggested tests, I did not succesfully pin point where the problem was. However as per one of your suggestion, he created a new folder using iCloud.com. Then in his finder, he shared this newly created folder with me. I received the sharing email and now it works as expected. He moved the content from the "unsharable" to this newly shared folder. And it runs smoothly. Now one can say it's resolved but I don't know why.

He repeated the sharing process with the "unsharable" folder (now empty because the files were moved) with the same result. The culprit of this strange behavior might be the folder name. There was a "é" ("e" + an accent) in the folder name.

In conclusion, thanks to the community for your assistance and have a great holidays season.

Big Sur - iCloud drive folder sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.