Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading & APFS Volume Advice Needed

My iMac is operating on Mojave 10.14.6 but I want to upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur. As I have some apps for work & games that I play that will not work under the new OS, I created a separate APFS volume according to these instructions: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208891. I see it sitting there in the finder and of course it’s empty - I named it Mojave WG. I’ll eventually get rid of it once apps are updated but for now, I need to have the ability to switch OS in order to use them.

But now I’m unsure on how to proceed with what I want to do. I want to install Mojave (my current operating system) on the newly created APFS volume ‘Mojave WG’. I then want to upgrade my computer to Catalina or Big Sur (not sure which I want yet). I planned on downloading Mojave and selecting the APFS volume ‘Mojave WG’ to install it on (if it offers me to select that). Then I want to upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur from the software updater on my computer. What I’m unsure of - is that the correct way to do it? Will upgrading wipe out Mojave on the APFS volume our does it ask you specifically where to install it? Or do I have to use MacOSRecovery as that page says? 

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 3:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 11:23 AM

Hello GottaHaveAMac2,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

Based on what you mentioned, you want to install a newer version of macOS on a separate partition. As you see in the document you provided, you should be able to select the volume that you intend to install macOS on. You will likely need to start your Mac in macOS recovery.

"To install a release version of macOS, you can use macOS Recovery. The keys you press at startup determine which macOS is installed." - Installing macOS on a separate APFS volume

Contact Apple for support and serviceIf you still have trouble y+ Add notesou may be able to get help where you are when you ou may be able to get help where you are when you ..ou may be able to get help where you are when you ou may be able to get help where you are when you 

Best wishes!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2020 11:23 AM in response to GottaHaveAMac2

Hello GottaHaveAMac2,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

Based on what you mentioned, you want to install a newer version of macOS on a separate partition. As you see in the document you provided, you should be able to select the volume that you intend to install macOS on. You will likely need to start your Mac in macOS recovery.

"To install a release version of macOS, you can use macOS Recovery. The keys you press at startup determine which macOS is installed." - Installing macOS on a separate APFS volume

Contact Apple for support and serviceIf you still have trouble y+ Add notesou may be able to get help where you are when you ou may be able to get help where you are when you ..ou may be able to get help where you are when you ou may be able to get help where you are when you 

Best wishes!

Upgrading & APFS Volume Advice Needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.