Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos 6.0 app on Big Sur doesn't export keywords in EXIF data

So I think I've found a bug in Apple Photos Version 6.0 (321.0.110) on macOS Big Sur v11.1. Or perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

1) Inside the Photos app, tag a photo with a keyword. Also give the photo a title and a caption.

2) Select File->Export->Export 1 photo

3) In the Export dialog, select "Photo Kind: JPEG"

4) In the Export dialog, make sure that "Include: Title, Keywords, and Caption" is checked

5) Click the Export button

6) Select an appropriate destination folder (e.g., Desktop) and click Export

6) Open the exported JPEG file in Preview (or any other app that allows viewing keywords in the EXIF data)

Expected Result: The keyword is present in the EXIF data. These steps used to work for me on MacOS 10.15 Catalina.

Actual Result: The keyword is missing from the EXIF data

I'm guessing that this is just a bug in the new Photos app? Or am I missing some step that is now necessary for exporting photos with keywords?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 7:37 PM

69 replies

Dec 21, 2020 11:30 AM in response to rusty415

Hi there, rusty415.

It appears that you're having a problem exporting photos from the Photos app on your Mac. They're not including the keyword you've added, and we're glad to help with this.

Export photos, videos and slide shows from Photos on Mac - Apple Support -- This section of the Photo User Guide, explains how to export your photos to include the keywords you've been assigning.

Get Support -- If your keywords still aren't being exported, please contact Apple Support. Choose Music, Apps & Services > Mac apps > Photos > The topic is not listed. Briefly describe the issue, then Continue.

All the best!

Apr 7, 2021 6:12 AM in response to SGotthardt

> Your proposal might work but it reads as if this is very cumbersome

No, those workarounds are not practical ;-]

The workflow depends on whether the user want to preserve any pixels edits or metadata edits, or both. And whether s/he wants to prevent any generation loss in decoding/encoding the pixels in lossy formats like .jpg.

> How do I combine sidecar .xmp to .jpeg? You can use tools like GraphicConverter or exiftool. But there is yet another annoying Photos.app 6.0 .xmp error in western & southern GPS (see below).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252258329

It seems Photos.app 6.0 should automatically combine .xmp to .jpg when importing. I was surprised to find out that Photos.app 4.0 does that (but it imported all times as 00.00 at least when I briefly tried it).

> "convert .jpeg suffix to .jpg"

That simple task can be handled by manually correcting the suffix or with one click in apps like GraphicConverter. But there is a risk for duplicates if that detail is ignored.

Apr 28, 2021 12:16 PM in response to Deepgreen2009

Just an iPhone and photos from the web I've added descriptions, keywords and locations to.

Try this: boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

May 2, 2021 2:35 AM in response to jimwong

Obviously Big Sur Photos.app 6.0 has been updated (from 330.0.150 to 340.0.221 in macOS 11.2 to 11.3) but I guess major fixes (and new bugs...) will be introduced in the next major macOS update.

I just tested macOS 11.3 Photos.app and the Captions, Titles and Keywords are not exported to .jpeg. They are exported to .tiff (and also .png although I did not verify it now). Location is exported to .jpeg and .tiff (although Preview does not show it in .tiff) but if I re-export .tiff with Preview as .jpg or .heic, the location is not included.

One workaround is to export unmodified originals with IPTC and join the metadata that Photos.app has updated in the .xmp to the original .jpg with GraphicConverter or exiftool (but do notice that the .xmp error in western and Southern Hemispheres needs a workaround in exiftool):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252258329

Apr 15, 2021 7:07 AM in response to rusty415

Keywords are normally kept in the IPTC data, not EXIF data, and in some image types, the keywords may appear in the XMP data. In Photos 6 on macOS 11.2.3, I can export the unmodified original of a selected photo containing IPTC keywords, and retain those keywords in the exported image using these settings:

The exported image retains the keywords viewable in Preview, the third-party ExifTool, etc. There is also an image named .xmp ASCII data file created.

May 1, 2021 9:46 AM in response to Deepgreen2009

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

May 25, 2021 4:40 PM in response to hookemh0rns

It's working for me on some photos but not all. I checked a few and those I got via Messages don't include the metadata. So far those are the only photos that don't export properly.

Have you tried it on several randomly selected photos that you've added keywords, titles and descriptions to?

How are you checking the exported jpeg file for the metadata? I use Preview to check the IPTC metadata.

Dec 21, 2020 2:25 PM in response to Matti Haveri

I can confirm that adding arbitrary keywords to an original JPG image in Photos on macOS 11.1 does not export that IPTC information, but changing the export image type to TIFF does include them, and they are viewable in Preview, and other applications that reveal the IPTC info. These are also exposed by the command-line mdls application's kMDItemKeywords.

Feb 16, 2021 12:01 PM in response to SnickZ.

Hello,

I do not understand what you want to tell me by referring to the User Guide and the Apple Support ?!?!?

1) User Guide: I know the user guide and this user guide "claims" that I am able to export photos including keywords. However it does not work !!!!! I can read the user guide again and again, but it will not help. I do need a solution and a bug fix but not a reference to an outdated user guide.

2) Apple Support: I tried to contact the Apple Support but after entering the serial number of my MacBook Pro 2016 I got the response "there is no Apple Support for your product". Therefore, please do not refer me to a support that does not want to help me.

As I can read from other users, this bug is linked to the introduction of BigSur. It would already be helpful, if Apple admitted this instead of leading me to nowhere.

Many thanks

Mar 6, 2021 11:41 AM in response to rusty415

Sadly this Apple Big Sur bug is STILL in the newest download 11.2.2. I keep hoping a patch update will fix this. It is adding a huge amount of extra work and I now have a large external set of images missing Caption and Tags. I have submitted this as a bug twice to Apple. And it is well reported in online forums. Can't understand why Apple can't fix something that was working before?

Photos 6.0 app on Big Sur doesn't export keywords in EXIF data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.