Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Approving a kernel extension using terminal

Hey everyone.

I'm facing a very annoying issue. Basically I'm trying to install some drivers for a 3rd party ethernet-to-usb adapter. I went through all the installation procedure. At the end of the installation, I was expecting the usual system preference pop up to allow the extension on the system, as stated on the driver installation guide. I don't know why, but it just didn't show.

I restarted my macbook, then went to About this Mac -> System Report and checked the extensions. The extension of the driver was there but was indeed showing as "not loaded". So I tried to load it via terminal using:

kextload /Library/Extensions/AX88179_178A.kext  

But I got:

Extension with identifiers com.asix.driver.ax88179-178a not approved to load. Please approve using System Preferences.

So I tried to approve it manually since my System preferences window was showing nothing. I first got the extension's TeamID by doing:

sqlite3 /var/db/SystemPolicyConfiguration/KextPolicy
SELECT * FROM kext_policy;

Then I restarted my macbook in Rescue Mode and submitted the following command:

/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add 5RHFAZ9D4P

to approve the kernel extension. Restarted the macbook, tried to load the extension again but I still had the same output. I went to the point of completely disabling kext-consent but it still returns the same message.

Can anyone help?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 9:57 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Approving a kernel extension using terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.