Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV won't play music from my library

As the title states, my Apple TV won't play music from my library unless it's part of a playlist. It happens on both of my Apple TVs (HD and 4K) running either tvOS 14.2 and 14.3. My iPhone 12 doesn't have this issue.

Any ideas other than 'make a playlist'?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 14

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 11:35 AM

20 replies

Dec 23, 2020 5:22 AM in response to Steve Krupka

Hey there, Steve.

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities! Thanks for posting about your Apple TV not playing music from the Music app. We'd be glad to see what we can do to help you out.

There are a few options when it comes to streaming music on your Apple TV. Check out Library: Browse and play your music on Apple TV for more info on those. If those steps don't help, let us know, and we'll go from there.

Take care.

Dec 23, 2020 11:04 AM in response to MoonJ.

I’m having the same problem. I can play my library on my iPhone and my iMac. My library albums are displayed on my Apple TV but when I try to play one all I get is the busy spinner. I reset the Apple TV and it made no difference. Apple Music items play without a problem on all devices, but library displays but will not play on tv. 14.3 tv and iPhone, Catalina on the iMac. Home sharing enabled, all on same WiFi. I can airplay my library from my phone to the tv as a workaround, but I didn’t used to need to do that.

Dec 23, 2020 10:29 AM in response to Steve Krupka

Is this about AirPlay, Home Sharing, iTunes Store Music purchases, or Apple Music/iTunes Match subscription?

Where does this library reside? If on a Mac or PC, then what version software and OS version? If in the Cloud, or a different device, then please specify.

For Home Sharing, I can’t replicate this. Maybe the issue is something local to your setup or library.

Dec 27, 2020 7:45 AM in response to Columnar

Steve,

I just noticed that my AppleTV is behaving the exact same way. I tried to play some Christmas music that was in my library using the Music App on my AppleTV’s and it just sit and spins but never plays the music. It will play music that I have from Apple Music but not the music I had on iTunes that I added by uploading them from my CD’s many years ago. I can access these songs on my Mac and my iPhone, just not the music app on my AppleTV’s. My hunch is that one of the more recent AppleTV updates broke this functionality and Apple will fix it in the near future. I know it worked last Christmas....

Keith

Dec 27, 2020 1:26 PM in response to pdy3

I have exactly the same problem: when selecting a song from one of the library folders (Artists, Albums or Recently Added) I always get a spinning wheel (it's spinning forever; not even an error message after 10 minutes). No issues when playing them from a playlist, though. As a workaround, I'm currently adding the songs to a playlist first and select them from there. I'm not entirely sure, but I think the problem started after recently subscribing to Apple Music. I already tried factory reset my Apple TV, but it didn't help.

Jan 6, 2021 1:35 AM in response to Columnar

I’m having the exact same problem on my year old ATV 4K. I actually purchased a new one today, set it up, and it was all good- until I updated the software to tvOS 14.3. And now the new unit is functioning exactly as poorly as the old one. This is obviously a software problem. I will be returning the new unit and will await a (hopefully) fixed update. NOT a happy camper here.

Jan 6, 2021 3:21 AM in response to Rphye

We as consumers are paying Apple for a service (either Apple Music or iTunes Match). As Apple are not currently providing the matching service I believe we are due refunds. I have already asked Apple about this and got a fob-off (wait until they've fixed it and then they'll think about it). To my mind there is not enough incentive for Apple to prioritise this fix, and it is up to us consumers to put pressure on them for financial compensation. Maybe then they will push it up the list. So please, if you have this problem then contact Apple support and ask for compensation as they are not providing the matching service which you are paying for.

Apple TV won't play music from my library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.