Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Not Disturb always on since updating to 11.1

After updating my iMac (2019) to Big Sur 11.1, I am unable to shut off "Do Not Disturb." The icon shows up on my top menu bar. When I go to notifications, and click on the icon for "always on" it does not respond. Nothing is checked in preferences. Is this a bug?

Posted on Dec 20, 2020 6:43 PM

23 replies

Dec 23, 2020 11:13 AM in response to barryfromgrandforks

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and try to turn off Do Not Disturb from there.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Dec 23, 2020 9:29 AM in response to barryfromgrandforks

Hi barryfromgrandforks,

We see that after updating to Big Sur Do Not Disturb is enabled automatically and you're unable to turn the feature off. Making sure you an edit these preferences and receive the notifications you need is important. We're glad you reached out for help.

Take a look at the resource below. It has the steps for changing your Do Not Disturb settings.

Use Do Not Disturb on your Mac

If the issue continues and let us know what happens when you try to turn the feature off using the steps provided.

Have a good day!

Dec 23, 2020 9:41 AM in response to jdo_apple

Thank you for the link. I previously looked at this link and tried all the options listed. I was still unable to turn off Do Not Disturb. I find that I have to reboot several times - then it finally shuts off. When I click the Do Not Disturb icon on the menu bar, the option to turn off Do Not Disturb does not work. I typically shut down my iMac after using it. Every time I start it again, the Do Not Disturb is turned on and I am unable to shut it off unless I reboot several times. Let me know what you think. Thank you again for your reply.

Feb 12, 2021 9:06 AM in response to barryfromgrandforks

I too am experiencing a similar issue with Do Not Disturb using Big Sur 11.2.1. Do Not Disturb will automatically be enabled when I boot up my machine even though I do not have any of the options checked off for Do Not Disturb when opening notification settings in system preferences.

I tried a few other attempts to fix the issue, which I've listed below, but the problem continues to persist.

1. I tried the steps listed in the MacOS subreddit, but no dice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/kcvdn4/cannot_turn_off_the_do_not_disturb_on_big_sur_is/

2. I made sure that I didn't have Do Not Disturb switched on on my iPhone and I also turned off the Bedtime iOS feature in case that was the culprit.

3. When trying to turn it off, whichever Do Not Disturb option I select doesn't take effect until I click back on Do Not Disturb as seen in the attached clip.

I didn't encounter the above issue with the release of 11.0. I began to notice it after installing 11.2.1

Here's a short clip of the issue:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hru99rm6r6w2hq2/Do%20Not%20Disturb%2011.2.1.mov?dl=0

Mar 2, 2021 7:12 AM in response to SBuro

+1 here. Was hoping this issue was addressed in 11.2.2 but does not seem to be. It is incredibly annoying to not get notification because DND keeps randomly turning on. Also turns on at reboot.

Currently when the new moon icon is showing up in my system tray i'm just ignoring it there and jumping into terminal and issuing the command "killall NotificationCenter" and that seems to reset the system tray/notifications and it turns off DND for a while but not sure what keeps triggering. This is an upgraded systems on a touchbar mac pro from late 2017.

Mar 2, 2021 9:02 AM in response to SBuro

Hi Simon:

I updated my OS to 11.2.2 but that did not resolve the problem. Each time I boot up my iMac (2019), it automatically turns on "Do Not Disturb" The controls do not function when I try to turn it off. I found a work-around. Just open any app to full screen, using the green button at the top of the app, then click again to go out of full screen. This consistently turns off DND and allows the controls to function again. I hope this helps.

Barry

Mar 3, 2021 10:14 AM in response to SBuro

Thanks for touching base, but unfortunately the only solution has been a workaround where I enter a time for "Turn on Do Not Disturb" (i.e., 12:00 AM to 12:30 AM), but I leave the actual box unchecked to toggle on Do Not Disturb. I suppose a better idea would be to change it to a window of time when you're likely to be awake to see if anything happens, but my troubleshooting skills need some polishing.

Though this will warrant posting to a different thread, I've also had issues with my widgets in Notification Center. I've had a number of instances where my setup completely disappears (which I primarily rely on for OmniFocus).

Anyhow, wish the features Apple has been touting with Big Sur would actually work for me on a consistent basis. GTA.

Do Not Disturb always on since updating to 11.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.