Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do Not Disturb keeps turning itself on (Big Sur)

MBP late 2016, recent upgrade to Big Sur. I have Do Not Disturb UNchecked in all areas of Notification Center. Yet, it keeps turning itself on. The moon icon appears in the top menu bar. The drop-down has "always on" highlighted in blue. When I click on it, the highlight disappears. But the icon remains and DND remains on. (I've tested that.)

I've seen several comments related to iOS but cannot find any answers related to DND turning itself on under Big Sur. Any help appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Oct 16, 2021 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2021 4:46 PM

Not much of a solution, but I was able to eliminate the random turning on of DND by scheduling it to turn on during the night, then turn off an hour later. These are at times I'm asleep so it doesn't matter. More of a kludge than a fix, but it works.

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 17, 2021 3:30 PM in response to Bruce Mann

Howdy Bruce,

I see you're having a problem with Do Not Disturb turning on although you haven't initiated it. Let's check into this.

Have you confirmed that there isn't a schedule set with Do Not Disturb to enable at a certain time on your Mac? If you're unsure, take a look at the following resource to look into this. For the steps to schedule Do Not Disturb, take a look at the section labeled "Schedule Do Not Disturb" to be sure there isn't a schedule set up.

Use Do Not Disturb on your Mac

If you're not seeing a schedule already, do you notice that some functions or notifications aren't working when you see the icon shown? If so, are there select notifications only that do not notify you?

It may be best to Contact Apple Support to have this looked into in more detail for you.

Cheers!

Oct 19, 2021 9:50 AM in response to Brandon_J_321

Thank you. DND is not scheduled. It is as if the Mac is USING the schedule, even though the checkbox is unchecked. I've tried Safe Mode, I've reset the NVRAM, I've reset the SMC, I've run numerous maintenance routines via ONYX. My guess is something in the "innards" won't reset and I appreciate it's probably time to bring Apple Support into it. Many thanks for responding.

Do Not Disturb keeps turning itself on (Big Sur)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.