Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stacks grouped by kind not working properly

I use stacks grouped by kind, and some time ago I had some categories like "Screenshots", "PDF Documents", etc. Now I only have "Developer" and "Other" (in which I can find PDF Documents, Screenshots, etc.). I tried rebooting, resetting PRAM, etc. and nothing has worked.

Edit: I already read this post on Apple Support (Organize files in stacks on Mac - Apple Support) and does NOT help with this issue.

Posted on Dec 21, 2020 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 11:21 PM

Hi, I just found how to fix this issue. I had to change the spotlight search results categories. Somehow when I uncheck "Images" stacks no longer group images nor Screenshots even when "group by kind" is selected.

5 replies

Dec 23, 2020 2:25 PM in response to juanrcifuentes

Hello juanrcifuentes,

We'd like to assist with the issue you're experiencing on your Mac when organizing your files using stacks. We appreciate the steps you have taken so far.

To confirm, if you change how stacks are grouped, do they appear to organize properly? For example, group stacks by "Date Added" and see if the same behavior occurs.

If the same issue persists, you can boot into safe mode to help isolate the issue. Use the steps in this resource to boot into safe mode. Once in safe mode, test the issue and see if it persists: Start up your Mac in safe mode

Thank you!

Stacks grouped by kind not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.