Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated Big Sur Touch ID not working and password not taking

Hi MacBook Pro 2019 version which was working fine but I updated to Big Sur and after that Touch ID is not working and system preference password it is not taking. same password for login is working but not in system preferences.

also not making new finger ID

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 1:54 PM

Same problem. This solved it:

1. Shut down your Mac.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds, then release the button.
  3. Wait a few seconds, then press the power button to turn on your Mac.

On reboot, I was able to successfully add fingerprints and enable touch-id login.

29 replies

Dec 28, 2020 1:27 PM in response to shahjii

I had the same problem: after upgrading to Big Sur (on a 2019 16" MacBook Pro), Touch ID wouldn't work. Apple Support pointed me to a page about resetting the system management controller (SMC), at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295, which solved the problem (in my case, it was solved by the preliminary steps they say to try before actually resetting the SMC).

Jan 25, 2021 8:59 PM in response to shahjii

I just bought an imac 2020 late and I installed Big Sur last week and now my admin password is not working. Help!

1. When I turn on computer on, I can log in successfully on my admin account. BUT, my admin password will NOT work on the "lock" icon to change users and group settings, security and privacy, etc.
  2. Now my printer and scanner doesn't work. hmmm.

Any suggestions?

ArrowPlane

Jan 24, 2021 5:18 PM in response to Mikeoc61

Unfortunately, this has not worked for me. MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

I've tried every possible solution all over these forums.

Touch ID works for everything it's intended to, with the exception of unlocking the device. All options are enabled for Touch ID in settings.

Is this an error within Big Sur itself? Do we have to wait for Apple to update it?

Jan 30, 2021 1:31 PM in response to shahjii

I talked to an apple support rep about this issue. They had me shutdown the computer, then turn back on in Safe Mode. (Hold down the LEFT SHIFT key, then press the power button, continue holding LEFT SHIFT until the login screen appears.) I then went to Touch ID settings, removed my registered finger prints and added them back. I restarted the my Macbook normally (Not Safe Mode) and after putting in initial password, everything now working great.

Mar 7, 2021 1:15 AM in response to nfroise

Without being conclusive on this issue yet, we established that an upgrade of Cisco AnyConnect from 4.8 to 4.9 caused Touch ID to not unlock the MacBook. All conventional methods posted online to reset SMC, remove the finger print, etc... did not work. I narrowed it down to a completed policy to update AC 4.9. Also, removing MDM resolved the issue. So at this stage, I am able to workaround this by reinstating the earlier version of AC 4.8, but I'm still working on root cause.

Mar 11, 2021 1:05 AM in response to aamoabeng

@aamoabeng - also to add. i have seen an upgrade to SEP 14.3 also cause the issue. Uninstall that and re-instate 14.2 and it works again. So there is a strange dependency on Cisco AnyConnect 4.9, SEP 14.3 and Touch ID. Again, hard to figure it out conclusively and also, like you, we need both of the upgraded AC 4.9 and SEP 14.3 versions. It might have something to do with profiles (System Extensions, KEXTs, PPPCs) that are preloaded. Not sure.

Updated Big Sur Touch ID not working and password not taking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.