Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages won't open on Mac OS Big Sur

I keep clicking the Pages app and the app says it had quit unexpectedly. When I click Reopen or OK it continues to close. The app will not open a document.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 23, 2020 3:02 PM

11 replies

Dec 28, 2020 6:12 AM in response to katiemeg

katiemeg Said:

"Pages won't open on Mac OS Big Sur: [...]Then I had to pay $0.99 to expand my storage. Apple is free to look up my support ticked and listed to our conversation to understand more

———-

NOTE: No one here has any call in returns and refunds. So, contact Apple Support, and request to speak to a senior advisor.

A. This is a Solution to a Comon Bug:

What you ought to point out to Apple is that this is a fix for a common bug - but it is very much unnecessary to paying ninety-nine cents/mo. You are paying for something not your cause, in a monetary-sense.

B. The Bug:

View all the posts listed here***, and you’ll see the MacOS Big Sur / Pages

confliction mentioned often. So, let Apple know if this fix, when leaving feedback.

***Pages for Mac - Apple Community

C. Report it to Apple:

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Installation/Setup" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

D. Once Reported, Contact Apple Support:

As you might suspect, no one here would know the reason for this charge, of course. So, contact Apple Support. Ask to speak with a Senior Advisor. They’ll know why this occurred and will run you right through the fix.

Contacting Apple Support:

E. Why the Wait:

Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due do lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

One Last Thought:

F. Screensharing with the Apple Rep

To easily converse over the phone with the Apple Rep screenshare the camera of your iPhone and your Mac. Ask a friend, or family member if you may use their phone, if you do not have one handy.

Learn more at these links: 

Dec 27, 2020 5:00 PM in response to katiemeg

Hi All,

After spending much time on the phone with Apple support (we uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and ended up re-install Mac OS Big Sur to no avail), the solution was that I was simply out of iCloud storage.

Once I purchased a larger storage solution the app was able to open on my computer without issue. A 0.99$ solution, but a bit disappointed to incur an extra cost after already purchasing the laptop.

Dec 25, 2020 5:51 PM in response to katiemeg

Hi there katiemeg,

We understand you're having an issue opening Pages, and we'll be happy to help!

Since upgrading to macOS Big Sur, have you checked for app updates? If you haven't yet, open the App Store, click Updates in the App Store, and click Update if it appears next to Pages, or click Update all.

If there's still no change, use the steps on the following page to delete the app, so a fresh copy can be downloaded from the App Store: How to delete apps on your Mac

We hope this helps!

Dec 26, 2020 11:49 PM in response to katiemeg

katiemeg Said:

"Pages won't open on Mac OS Big Sur I keep clicking the Pages app and the app says it had quit unexpectedly. When I click Reopen or OK it continues to close. The app will not open a document."

-------

Try Using Safe Mode:

In Safe Mode, login items do not open, and Temporary Settings Files(i.e. caches) would be rid of that are corrupt. Once rid of, these items would no longer get in the way. Important: Make sure that Reopen windows when logging back in is unchecked when shutting down (see the screenshot).

1. Power on: the Mac
  2. Hold Down: [shift key upon boot]
  3. Log in: as Same User
  4. Wait: 30 Seconds
  5. Shut Down: The Mac
  6. Restart: The Mac Normally
  7. Log in: as Same User

See if all is fixed

Screenshot:

Dec 27, 2020 7:06 PM in response to katiemeg

katiemeg Said:

"Pages won't open on Mac OS Big Sur: After spending much time on the phone with Apple support (we uninstalled and reinstalled the program, and ended up re-install Mac OS Big Sur to no avail), the solution was that I was simply out of iCloud storage. [...]Once I purchased a larger storage solution the app was able to open on my computer without issue. A 0.99$ solution, but a bit disappointed to incur an extra cost after already purchasing the laptop."

-------

Please Confirm:

The solution is: Purchase more iCloud storage.

I do not see how that would solve this. So, if that is the soluton, it must be a glitch of sorts in iCloud at the moment.

Dec 28, 2020 4:25 AM in response to babowa

I was confused and frustrated as well. Wasn't sure how it was possible- but I guess since my iCloud was full and there was no way to access any of the older documents without reaching the limit, the app wouldn't open.

Not only did we un-install and re-install the app, I also had to re-install all of Mac OS Big Sur. Then I had to pay $0.99 to expand my storage. Apple is free to look up my support ticket and listen to our conversation to understand more.

Dec 28, 2020 9:49 AM in response to katiemeg

If you are relying on iCloud, yes, then all your documents, etc. will be there and you need to watch how much storage space you have vs. using.

I do not use iCloud, so I would never have that type of problem.

As a sidenote: you also need to watch your internal storage space as you should maintain a very minimum of 15 - 20 GB of empty space at all times for the OS to function properly. If you allow it to fill up, then your computer will stop functioning.

Dec 28, 2020 9:57 AM in response to babowa

That's what I thought too, and I had this discussion with the Apple support person. I did not want to expand my iCloud storage simply to open the app. But he said there was no other way around it, and the length of our discussion alone was worth more than the $0.99 of the additional storage (rude, but I guess the sales tactic worked).

I still do not understand why that solution worked, but that is what worked for me.

Dec 28, 2020 10:00 AM in response to katiemeg

It worked because it appears that you have all of your files stored in the cloud. That means you cannot open a document because you do not have enough cloud space to do so >>> that, in turn, prevents the app from opening >>> it has to launch so it opens the document so you can read it.

One of the reasons why I do not use iCloud. All my stuff is on my internal Mac drive.

Pages won't open on Mac OS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.