Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off "HEIC" feature in Photos ?

This new "feature" (converting my jpeg photos to HEIC) was added to all of my 25,000+ photos without my permission. It has wasted an untold amount of my time to "convert" my photos back to jpeg format. I want this "feature" ELIMINATED!!!

HOW can I stop this time wasting feature? I understand that it reduces the size of my photos but I could care less about this. I have plenty of space on my MacBook Pro and that should be MY decision. Every photo I try to send to my non-mac users I get a response: "I cant see your photo it is not jpeg" !!! This has to STOP!!!!

Please help

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2020 6:29 PM

most of my existing photos are now heic - is there a way to change them all back to jpeg?

7 replies

Dec 31, 2020 3:50 AM in response to Bret Bennett

This new "feature" (converting my jpeg photos to HEIC) was added to all of my 25,000+

Have you checked the originals on your Mac? If your JPEG photos are all of a sudden HEIC files, your Photos Library has become corrupted. Photos simply does not do this. I have to convert all my older photos (taken before 2012) manually and reimport them to convert them to HEIC.

Select an old photo that used to be a JPEG and look at the filename in the Info - the second line in the Info panel. What is the filename extension? Look also in the second brick, where the file type is shown. Does it show JPEG or HEIC? If the originals are still JPEGs, you just need to revert your photos to the original. Exporting the originals will give you JPEGs anyway.

But if older photos you took as JPEGs and never touched now are shown as HEIC in the Info, some third-party software may have damaged your library. Have you perhaps running some application to remove duplicates? Some "Cleaning" software to save storage? If you let cleaning software modify your Photos Library, you should restore your library from the last backup you made, before the original image files got converted.

If you are having an iPad or iPhone, how are you syncing your iOS devices and the Mac? Are you using iCloud Photos or My Photo Stream or are you downloading the photos manually from the iPhone or iPad?

How to turn off "HEIC" feature in Photos ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.