Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't login to hotmail.

I am Unable to login to my Hotmail account via web browser on my iMac. I have tried with Safari (My main web browser) and with chrome - both yielding the same result. 

Main page loads but as soon as i click on the sign in button it does nothing and hangs.

Chrome however after a long time displays the following - login.live.com’s server IP could not be found.

I am able to log in via other people's computers.

Would greatly appreciate any advice. BTW I'm using El Capitan OS.

Thanking you in advance.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 28, 2020 8:37 PM

4 replies

Dec 30, 2020 6:21 PM in response to Stella_negra

Hello Stella_negra,

We can understand wanting to have access to the Hotmail website. We'll do all we can to get you pointed in the right direction. Have you tried to Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac? If not, try that first.

If the issue persists, power off and restart your Mac. This step can often refresh the apps and software on the Mac to solve numerous problems you may encounter. If you restart the Mac and the problem continues, check to see if the issue happens with a specific user. If you do not have an alternate user you may need to create one to test with. Here's more information on how to Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

Also, does the issue happen if you connect the MacBook to another Wi-Fi network? Is it possible that there's a firewall or settings enabled that would restrict you from connecting to Hotmail? Connecting to another network will help to isolate this issue.

Cheers!

Dec 31, 2020 7:28 AM in response to Stella_negra

Stella,

It looks like you've gone through some great steps to help isolate the cause of this Safari problem. To verify, are you attempting to visit the website from a saved link, or are you typing it in manually? If you're not currently typing in the web address manually, try that. This will help make sure that the link you're trying to visit is input correctly.

Also, check out this link and follow this guide for what to do If you can’t open a website in Safari on Mac.

Best regards!

Dec 30, 2020 9:23 PM in response to judysings

Hi Judy, Thank you for your reply.

I greatly appreciate it.

I have cleared the browsing history several times.

Done a PRAM and SMC reset

I have flushed the DNS.

I have tried running the Mac in safe mode.

I have tried private window in Safari.

All yielding the same result - landing page loads nothing else.

I have tried it with a different / guest user - same result.

I did check the firewall, nothing seems out of place.

I am able to access it via my sisters macbook on the same network.

Unfortunately I only have the one network to work with.

Thanks again.

Dec 31, 2020 9:10 AM in response to ryane77

Dear Ryane,

Thank you very much for your advice.

I've tried both visiting from a link as well as typing it manually - both yield the same result.

Starts loading and then hangs.

I went through the list on link you kindly sent me - everything seems in order.

Next step is probably to contact my network Admin.

Thanks again. It's greatly appreciated.

Can't login to hotmail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.