Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 14 stuck when displaying PDF file on Mac OS Big Sur

I am testing our web application on Mac OS Big Sur because of some bug reports I've been receiving from users on Mac OS Big Sur.

In our web application we receive PDF data from an api, convert it to a blob url using JavaScript "window.URL.createObjectURL(data)" and display it using "<object type='application/pdf' data='<blob

url'>". Since the Mac OS Big Sur update this mechanism stopped working.

I've tested it on Mac OS Catalina Safari 14 (works), Mac OS Big Sur 11.0, 11.0.1 and 11.1 Safari 14 (doesn't work). Other browsers (Chrome and Firefox) work fine on Big Sur. Other OS's work as expected.

Could this be a bug in Mac OS Big Sur or Safari or am I doing something wrong?

Can you reproduce this problem? Remember, it hangs when converting PDF data to a blob url and using this url as the data attribute of the object element. When using a direct url (due to architecture limitations we're not able to take this route) to the pdf file everything seems to be working as expected.

Also, I tried circumventing the problem by parsing the navigator.userAgent but it returns MacOS 10.15.6 on 11.0.1.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 31, 2020 1:26 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Safari 14 stuck when displaying PDF file on Mac OS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.