Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen or Browser locks after clicking on a tab

Hi,

I am experiencing an issue for a few days, after clicking on the browser tabs, the browser get bloked and I should click on other part to start again or I should use keyboar to switch between tabs. Also, sometimes the trackpad does not work, and I have the same problem when I want to right click or left click on files/folders. I did not update to macOS Big Sur 11.1 yet (I am using Catalina10.15.7 (19H2)).

I don't have eny extension on Safari. I have this problem with some tabs not all of them. The same problem when I use external mouse. Restart does not solve the problem.

Does anyone have the same problem? Any suggestion? I also noticed that a lof of people have similar problem with trackpad when they have updated to Big Sur 11.1, so I don't want to update the OS.

I put a screenshot of the safari when I click on the tab and I have a dead browser.

Thank You

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 2, 2021 11:14 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jan 4, 2021 1:30 PM in response to Arash_

Hi Arash_,

We'd like to make sure we are on the same page.

To clarify, occasionally when using Safari you'll open multiple tabs and when clicking on a specific tab, Safari doesn't pull up that window? Is that correct?

If so, let us know the following:

• Does this happen consistently on certain websites?
  • Does it only happen with a certain number of tabs open, such as 3 to 5 or 7-10, etc?
  • How do you resolve the issue when it occurs? Or are there just some sites you're unable to visit at all?
  • Do you receive any error or message when attempting to access the relevant tab?

Additionally, take a look over the steps outlined below:

Should the issue persist, let us know the additional info requested, and we'll follow up from there.

Take care.

Jan 6, 2021 1:57 PM in response to Arash_

Hey Arash_,

Thank you for the additional details of what is going on. They're most helpful.

When attempting to access the affected tabs, does the pointer turn into a spinning wheel? Additionally, if Safari is the only affected app and the issue persists when using an external mouse we're likely looking at an issue with Safari specifically.

Take a moment to boot your Mac into safe mode, and then attempt to replicate the issue.

If the problem does not persist in safe mode, restart your Mac and test the issue again. If the problem does persist in safe mode, or if it returns after restarting, we'd recommend creating a new user account and attempt to replicate the problem there.

Let us know the results from there.

Cheers!

Jan 6, 2021 7:26 AM in response to barberlives123

Hi Barberlives123,

• occasionally when using Safari you'll open multiple tabs and when clicking on a specific tab, Safari doesn't pull up that window? Is that correct?

Yes

• Does this happen consistently on certain websites?

It does not related to the website

• Does it only happen with a certain number of tabs open, such as 3 to 5 or 7-10, etc?

3 or more

• How do you resolve the issue when it occurs? Or are there just some sites you're unable to visit at all?

***I try to (left)click on the main part of the Safari app, below tabs, i.e. in this page, where I see my/your content (or post), then I can choose a tab***, but I use keyboard combination, to prevent it from occuring again. Just to give more information, considering I have 10 tabs, and I am currently on 6th, I can click on 1-5 no need to (***), but I can't click on the tabs 6-10.

• Do you receive any error or message when attempting to access the relevant tab?

No

Please consider that, as I mentioned before, I think this is somehow related to the trackpad, because sometimes I face with this problem when I am going to select a folder(s)/file(s) and even on the Chrome (similar problem like Safari).

Unfortunately, I cannot send a screen recording here to make it more clear.

Regards

Screen or Browser locks after clicking on a tab

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.