Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari 14 Update Gives Screen and Projector Flickering

When I plug in a mobile projector to my MacBook Pro via HDMI, my projector flickers quickly, and in return, my Mac’s screen then flickers. 

Interestingly, this all began to occur after the Safari 14 install. But, I do not know if that plays any part in this.

Any thoughts?

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 1:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 9:11 AM

Hi TheLittles,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. From our understanding, when you connect your mobile projector to your MacBook Pro using an HDMI cable, it flickers, do we have that right? Does this happen if you use another HDMI cable? You can also reset the NVRAM and the SMC to see if this continues.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Hope that helps!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2021 9:11 AM in response to TheLittles

Hi TheLittles,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. From our understanding, when you connect your mobile projector to your MacBook Pro using an HDMI cable, it flickers, do we have that right? Does this happen if you use another HDMI cable? You can also reset the NVRAM and the SMC to see if this continues.

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Hope that helps!

Jan 7, 2021 9:58 AM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles,

Thank you for that info. Is your Mac completely up to date? Are you using an adapter to connect? If so, does it happen with a different adapter? There are some steps here that may help: Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

If this continues, you may be able to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance. You may be able to reach them here: Get Support.

Take Care!

Jan 7, 2021 10:21 AM in response to bailier

raina_b22 Said:

Q1. "Is your Mac completely up to date?"

A1. Updating might do the trick. I'm using Catalina 10.15.7 on both of these Macs. I'll update my Mac tonight to Big Sur, and will spread the word with a reply on how that works.

Q2. "Are you using an adapter to connect? If so, does it happen with a different adapter?"

A2. The adapter I use: USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. I don't think I have a second adapter. I'll take a look for one. How I connect Is in this link: Connecting displays with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C)

Q3. "If this continues, you may be able to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance. You may be able to reach them here: Get Support."

A3. If the above do not work, then I will contact Apple Support. And you bring up a good point, because my screen was just replaced. See my Post Here: Red Dot Atop Mac's Screen

Jan 7, 2021 10:27 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder Said:

"Your Mac has ALWAYS blinked all connected displays when a new display is attached, as a signal to your, the user, that a new display has been recognized. Provided it only blinks once, this is a feature, not a defect."

-------

Got this Serviced:

It flickers, but I have to plug it in again to get it to work - elsewise, it just stays on the projector's input menu. - it never did that prior to getting this back from Apple, after it was serviced, recently. See my Post Here: Red Dot Atop Mac's Screen

Jan 7, 2021 9:22 AM in response to raina_b22

raina_b22 Said:

Q1: "Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. From our understanding, when you connect your mobile projector to your MacBook Pro using an HDMI cable, it flickers, do we have that right?"

A1: Yes. That is correct. It now just goes to the menu of the projector, rather than to the output itself. It used to right go to the output. But, now I have unplug it, and plug it back in. Both times of purging it in, it flickers.

Q2: "Does this happen if you use another HDMI cable?"

A2: Yes. It happens with the come-with cable, and with a high-end one (Monster brand), one one in between (retailer's).

Q3:"You can also reset the NVRAM and the SMC to see if this continues."

A3: I've tried that an lots of other items. It just flickered - and I have to plug it in a second time to get it to show the output. My other Mac Does this as well My PC does not do this.

Safari 14 Update Gives Screen and Projector Flickering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.