Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I change the iTune Backup location in my PC?

My iTunes is installed in the C Drive of my PC, so when I backup my iPhone, the backup location is in C Drive, but there is limited storage in C-Drive which is not sufficient to backup my iPhone, can I change the backup location to my D Drive in the same PC? Please advice how I can do that. Thanks.

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 7:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 6:17 PM

You've highlighted the wrong part of the sentence. "iTunes doesn't provide a mechanism for choosing where this backup data is stored, but it can be relocated onto another locally connected drive..." You have to perform a file system trick using the operating system which, unbeknownst to iTunes, pushes the data iTunes that saves into C:\...\MobileSync\Backup into a location on your preferred drive, or passes it back to iTunes from that location when it wants to read the data. While the process works iTunes still checks the system drive for free space, so while you could set up the symbolic link you would still find that iTunes would report that there isn't enough room on your small system drive to backup the device. You should probably look at backing up to iCloud.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 6:17 PM in response to SamL111

You've highlighted the wrong part of the sentence. "iTunes doesn't provide a mechanism for choosing where this backup data is stored, but it can be relocated onto another locally connected drive..." You have to perform a file system trick using the operating system which, unbeknownst to iTunes, pushes the data iTunes that saves into C:\...\MobileSync\Backup into a location on your preferred drive, or passes it back to iTunes from that location when it wants to read the data. While the process works iTunes still checks the system drive for free space, so while you could set up the symbolic link you would still find that iTunes would report that there isn't enough room on your small system drive to backup the device. You should probably look at backing up to iCloud.

tt2

Jan 6, 2021 5:54 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Per the link you provided, "iTunes doesn't provide a mechanism for choosing where this backup data is stored, but it can be relocated onto another locally connected drive..." so it is confirmed that I cannot change the location of the backup data when I do the backup. That's the problem as my C-Drive is less than 100gb and my backup requires 200+ GB.

Can I change the iTune Backup location in my PC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.