Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3rd Gen -No wifi option

Hi. My Apple TV only gives me an ethernet option to connect - no wifi option. If I plug in the ethernet cable it still does not connect. I have restarted and also reset all factory settings to no avail. Tried to connect via bluetooth to MacBook - MacBook can find the TV, but the TV just says searching. On the network setting it has an IP address of DHCP169.254.85.44, a subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and a router address. However under router and DNS it says N/A.

I also cannot connect to MacBook via mini USB as there is no USB port on the AppleTv.

Apple TV

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 2:22 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 6, 2021 4:42 AM in response to Resh170

In all models of Apple TV, once you plug in the ethernet cable... the wifi options disappear from your settings/network page.

To setup wifi, you need to unplug the ethernet cable first, then open the settings/network screen.

When settings/network screen shows wifi but searches for Wifi but cannot find any, it means the Wifi antenna is faulty. In this case you can only use the Apple TV with ethernet.

Faulty wifi antenna happens in Gen 3 Apple TV, I have seen it quite a few times.

Jan 6, 2021 4:21 AM in response to Resh170

On the network setting it has an IP address of DHCP169.254.85.44, a subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and a router address. However under router and DNS it says N/A.

That is helpful information for diagnosis. IP 169.254.x.x is self-assigned and not functional for connectivity. It means that the device didn’t receive an DHCP IP address from the router.

Try restarting both the router and the Apple TV, so that they can re-connect freshly.

Apple TV 3rd Gen -No wifi option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.