Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External display with USB-C to HDMI adapter has no signal after every restart

I have a secondary display connected with a USB-C to HDMI adapter. Every time I restart my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020), the secondary display reports "No Signal" until I physically unplug and reconnect the adapter. I must do this every time I restart, and sometimes after the computer sleeps. I am worried I'm going to wear out the port with frequent plugging/unplugging. It needs to last me for the next 5 years or so!

I used the very same external display with my previous iMac (2014 model), using a Thunderbolt 2 to DVI adapter, which worked without any issues. The display has both DVI and HDMI ports, and since I had to get a new adapter anyway (new iMacs have USB-C instead of Thunderbolt 2), I assumed that going with HDMI would be better since it is newer. Well, apparently not.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Or to make the external display work without physically unplugging? I tried the "Detect Displays" trick in System Preferences, but it doesn't seem to help.

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 1:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 12:07 PM

Hi, I'm using an ASUS VS247H-P display. From the company website, it appears that the only download drivers are for Windows. There is no mention of a firmware update.

The troubleshooting steps in that document you shared were pretty basic, and I already tried those and more.

In the end, I went to using a USB-C to DVI adapter, and that appears to have resolved the issue.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2021 12:07 PM in response to KMB_12

Hi, I'm using an ASUS VS247H-P display. From the company website, it appears that the only download drivers are for Windows. There is no mention of a firmware update.

The troubleshooting steps in that document you shared were pretty basic, and I already tried those and more.

In the end, I went to using a USB-C to DVI adapter, and that appears to have resolved the issue.

Jan 9, 2021 5:25 AM in response to Michael Prewitt

Hello Michael,

We understand that you're having trouble getting your second monitor recognized. Some troubleshooting can be found here:

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support

If this is a third-party display, we would also recommend checking if there are any firmware updates available given the new macOS versions that are out.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities!

External display with USB-C to HDMI adapter has no signal after every restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.