Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Temporary files during video export

Hi!

When I run the video rendering, I see the free space on my system drive decreasing. After rendering is complete, free space is returned. I always export video files to an external SSD. The cache of all my FCPX libraries is also always located on an external SSD. I do not launch any other programs during rendering. What other files are created by FCXP and what directory are they in?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 2:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2021 2:56 PM

Available space can be very variable and far from apparent in recent OSs. The system is constantly creating and dumping files in the background, snapshots, cache files, and more. All this makes reading the available space display pretty meaningless and really only a rough guide, so when free space is returned, it may simply be that the system is unloading cache files or dumping a snapshot. An application like Daisy Disk will show you the amount of hidden files, which can be many GB in size.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2021 2:56 PM in response to sergey85

Available space can be very variable and far from apparent in recent OSs. The system is constantly creating and dumping files in the background, snapshots, cache files, and more. All this makes reading the available space display pretty meaningless and really only a rough guide, so when free space is returned, it may simply be that the system is unloading cache files or dumping a snapshot. An application like Daisy Disk will show you the amount of hidden files, which can be many GB in size.

Temporary files during video export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.