Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini M1 ethernet doesn't work after waking from sleep

When I wake my Mac mini M1 (Big Sur 11.1) up, the ethernet connection doesn't work.

It appears to be online (shows the previously assigned DHCP address, and has a green dot next to it in the system preferences), but doesn't work.

Tried turning it off and on again - shows an amber dot with 'self assigned IP'.

Wifi works as usual.

Tried pulling the cable out and plug it back in - does not connect.

I tried to connect another device using the same cable, to make sure it's not my ethernet switch or connection that is faulty - works.

Restarting fixes the issue.

Anyway to resolve it? I'd really just want to wake the mini up and continue working...

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 12:51 AM

Similar questions

67 replies

Sep 28, 2021 10:24 PM in response to schultemn

Ok so I'm back and on osx mac mini 11.6 16g ram, and I just experienced a "drop*", I might have found a way to fix the connection after the drop (without rebooting, unplugging any cables etc), but this is not a preventative to the drop itself.. but I wanted to share how I did this in case it helps someone

(What do I mean by my drop* event)

• This dropped happened to me while I was viewing my m1 mac through a splashtop session / (similar to rdp/vnc), just an immediate connection cut off
  • Outbound pings to google.com fail
  • I also notice outbound UDP also stops (I've been spamming a remote cloud server for testing, confirmed it stops)
  • any kind of tcp outbound requiring dns resolution just fails (like navigating to google with safari etc)
  • interface en0 is still online, wifi is still online
  • I run splashtop streamer on this and my m1 host shows offline

(So heres whats strange, and what I did)

• file sharing appears to still be working, I assume this is because of established connections between my mbp and mac mini, or bonjour broadcast etc (though it was very likely it would eventually fail soon, I browsed some folders to make sure it wasn't just some cached finder session)
  • well what if the interface rebooted and came back online ?
  • to test that, I sshed into the mac mini from my mbp and it SUCCEEDS.. odd I thought the interface dropped and was unresponsive ?
  • OK, did my m1 run out of file descriptors ? ( well sudo lsof | wc -l never completes, I didnt want to wait longer than 3 minutes so I cannot confirm this, but I can assume something possibly may have hung/defunct/zombie fd)
  • checked dmesg, looked fine..
  • /var/log/system.logs, nothing really odd off the bat
  • still confused, so I then ran a ping test outbound to google.com (this works on my other machines but not the m1)
  • checked en0 for status:
  • OK now I suspect either nslookup/dhcp problems, so I'll try to resolve these one at a time starting with DHCP first:
  • DHCP manually reassign command = ipconfig set en0 DHCP
  • oh.. that fixed it

I still don't have enough information but.. If anyone gets another drop* one day and you have physical/or/ssh access to your m1 machine try to fix dhcp with "sudo ipconfig set en0 DHCP" and see if your connection comes back and maybe post here too if that worked for you (also replace en0 with your interface id, check that with "ifconfig", you should see your ipv4 somewhere in there and most likely it is that interface)

I still have no idea how the interface "dropped*".. but I hope this info helps someone out there

Jan 8, 2021 10:07 AM in response to hcsitas

No power nap setting on my Mac mini.

Anyway, "prevent the computer from sleeping when.." - I don't want to prevent my computer from going to sleep when the display is off, that would defeat the purpose of power saving, obviously it would resolve the issue with the cost of the computer never going to sleep...

"Wake up for network access" is turned on (and I need it as well).

Jan 8, 2021 10:11 AM in response to hcsitas

hcsitas wrote:

??? It’s either-or, you can’t have both operating simultaneously.

Assuming you are referring to wifi and ethernet being on simultaneously - yes you can.

In fact, you can have as many network connections turned on at the same time as you want.

It also makes allot of sense to have multiple network connections, there are many uses for that, connection to multiple networks is the obvious solution.

In macOS, the wifi direct is required for many services such as airdrop or sidecar.

Since you can't have network direct without turning on wifi, you really want wifi on even if you use the ethernet adapter as your primary network interface.

Jan 8, 2021 10:26 AM in response to hcsitas

Sleep saves nuthin’ , newer Macs have no moving parts except for the fan which doesn’t consume much unless the computer is busy. So, disable sleep and don’t lose more sleep over it.

Thanks, I'm looking for a solution that works as designed.

While the M1 ARM processor consumes considerable less power than an intel processor, it still consumes power, and more importantly, the Mac powers peripherals that are connected to it via USB, so power consumption is not just the CPU power consumption.

hcsitas wrote:

My dear Moshe, reread my reply. They can be On, but not operating simultaneously.

As for operating simultaneously - of course they can :-)

A simple example - start a web server on port 80, and bind it to one interface (the ethernet adapter, for instance), start another on port 80 and bind it to a different interface (wifi), and there you have two web servers working at the same time, each responding to request only on their own address.

Another example would be connecting to two different physical LANs.

The adapter order only impacts the default routing order, that can be fine tuned specifically using the "route" command (and other methods), for example, having some connections use one adapter, and some use another.

We've gone way off topic here, so I'm not going to continue this thread.

If there's a way to PM people here at the Apple discussions, I would be happy to elaborate.

Jan 8, 2021 10:34 AM in response to Moshe Gottlieb

Well, that’s new material information which you didn’t disclose prior i.e. you’re hard-coding connections which makes your configuration special. Sorry, no attaboy forthcoming. Unfortunately, it also means your binds are a credible root cause of your network wake issue = good luck looking for a solution, you’ll need it. Bye bye.

Jan 8, 2021 10:52 AM in response to Moshe Gottlieb

Moshe Gottlieb wrote:

Thanks @den.thed, ethernet is already on top, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed the issue.
I need the wifi connection as well (for air drop, side car) so turning it off is not an option, nor will help:
The ethernet connection appears to be working, and since it's first, macOS tries to route everything through it anyway (and fails).

Those services should also work thru your local network with the Mac connected to Ethernet and the other devices connected to Wi-Fi.

Your problem now, is that the iMac is confused when it first wakes up.

Feb 11, 2021 10:17 AM in response to Moshe Gottlieb

Actually I think this has happened to me without the machine going to sleep as well. In the middle of doing something and noticing that I can no longer save to a network share because ethernet has gone awol. Anyway it doesn’t always happen to me when the machine sleeps. I’ve yet to figure out how to cause this anomaly and my TCP dumps on box connected to same switch also show nothing to indicate a cause.

Feb 16, 2021 4:07 AM in response to Moshe Gottlieb

I have this issue constantly with a mac mini m1 plugged into a gb switch. Regardless of cable or port, the mac mini will simply not work with the nic if this state triggers. Specifying a manual IP doesn't matter. The OS seems to have a bug relating to self-assigned IPs and switching the config of the nic.

I always end up enabling wifi to get around the internal network stack bug. It's been repeating constantly since I bought this mac mini last month.

Mar 6, 2021 7:37 AM in response to Moshe Gottlieb

Well one thing for sure, hcsital didn't add much to the conversation, sorry you had to deal with that Moshe.

I got an m1 mac mini and same thing, wifi works - ethernet didn't.

I was able to get ethernet working (able to go online) by not only assigning manual ip settings but also had to manually assign the DNS servers in advanced settings. (Bottom right)

(If you don't know your DNS servers you can locate your them by logging into your modem and seeing what the 2 [usually 2] DNS servers are)

After that it worked well, until sleep like some of y'all said. It then seemed to fail, but it was actually just incredibly slow! I was still getting network capability but it was spotty and about 300 BITS/SEC (not mb or kb straight up bits!) when it did work.

Just updated to Big Sur 11.2.2 and will test to see if that fixes it. Otherwise I'm going to also try a usb-c -> ethernet adapter I have. I am running this little guy as a server for multiple operations so wifi-only isn't really an option.

Mar 7, 2021 7:09 AM in response to Moshe Gottlieb

Sorry for the Johnny Come Lately post. I am having similar issues but not after sleep.... at least not yet. However I do lose DHCP and even though I have the WiFi enabled and on it will not switch to the WiFi as my MBP that I had in its place would do. The NIC still thinks it has a valid route via the Interface that is APIPA addressed. What worked for me as a band-aid is to turn off the interface and turn it back on.

I opened a case with Support but as usual, they do not have a fix. Its always a "re-install" blah blah. I wanted to increase the verbosity of the logging to see if I or "support" could identify a root cause before I experience the issue. They are not aware and say that they need to send it to "engineering", which is a blackhole of regret with them.

I may attach a USBC Ethernet dongle to see if the same thing happens. It is not my switch since I had my MBP plugged in for 1.5 years without any issues, it is not my "router" (as support loves to say) I work for the mfg of the firewall (router) and can guarantee that is not the issue. Not the cable either because of the aforementioned.

Let us know here if you come up with something. I will do the same. I created another post because I had not see yours. Will, update both.

Mac mini M1 ethernet doesn't work after waking from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.