Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 Imac 27 in stutters/freezes then resets after a few seconds

Sorry if I reposted this already, but couldn't find my own posts that I had made yesterday.

I own a 2020 imac 27 inch 3.8 8 core with 128g of ram (from OWC)

Basically, I have an issue where my computer would be unresponsive and freezes, then after about 10-15 seconds, the imac would reset itself. It seems to happen when I'm listening to something like a stream or youtube, and the audio would stutter and/or go on a loop when the imac gets unresponsive.

I rebooted it in safe mode, reset my SMC, and from what I've read, some anti-viruses can cause issues. I had Avast installed, so I deleted it using AppCleaner. Imac worked fine for awhile, but it just happened again a couple days ago. I've done a Scan using Etrecheck and this is what the report says:

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 11:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2021 11:43 AM

Etrecheck doesn't show problems. It reported a heavy use o RAM. You can check with Acivity Monitor what is it that's using that much RAM and try reinstalling the apps to see if it's a software problem.

You can also try leaving it only with, or reinstalling the original RAM modules and check if the problem persists.

Also create a new admin user, disconnect any external devices connected to the Mac and check again in this new user.

Last action on your part would be a clean install of macOS, Big Sur maybe. Use this procedure to have a local installer How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If none of these options work, and since you're still under warranty, take it to an Apple Store or Authorized for a proper diagnostic.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2021 11:43 AM in response to Beekay_Okay

Etrecheck doesn't show problems. It reported a heavy use o RAM. You can check with Acivity Monitor what is it that's using that much RAM and try reinstalling the apps to see if it's a software problem.

You can also try leaving it only with, or reinstalling the original RAM modules and check if the problem persists.

Also create a new admin user, disconnect any external devices connected to the Mac and check again in this new user.

Last action on your part would be a clean install of macOS, Big Sur maybe. Use this procedure to have a local installer How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If none of these options work, and since you're still under warranty, take it to an Apple Store or Authorized for a proper diagnostic.

2020 Imac 27 in stutters/freezes then resets after a few seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.