Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB flash drive gets very hot

I have various double UCB/C-to-USB/3 flash drivers (from different companies: SanDisk, SiliconDrive, PNY..., and of different sizes: 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB). I use them on 2018 15" MacBook Pro with macOS 11.1 (but it was with previous versions as well).

When plugged in (even not being in use) they start heating and become routher hot very soon. I assume that was the reason I lost my SiliconDrive for 64GB...

I tryed to use them via QacQoc adapter and it doesn't make any difference...

At the same time none of these flash drivers are warming up in any my Windows computers (laptops or desktop). So, it is not the USB board in them, it is something with MacBook Pro USB-C port.

Is there any way to fix this problem? Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 9:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 12:36 PM

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your interest! And here are the answers on your questions:

2) No, I always have 1 (one) flash Drive plugged in.

1) They all are formated the way they come from manufactures - exFAT or FAT32. And I need it because I use them for data transfer from MacBook to my Windows laptops.

3) I was looking everywhere, but didn't find any helful explanation. All of them are on the level as the next participant: MyApple8MyPC, provided...

Thanks again.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2021 12:36 PM in response to Amanda239_91

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for your interest! And here are the answers on your questions:

2) No, I always have 1 (one) flash Drive plugged in.

1) They all are formated the way they come from manufactures - exFAT or FAT32. And I need it because I use them for data transfer from MacBook to my Windows laptops.

3) I was looking everywhere, but didn't find any helful explanation. All of them are on the level as the next participant: MyApple8MyPC, provided...

Thanks again.

Jan 13, 2021 11:39 AM in response to PavProsk

Hi PavProsk,

We understand you have some questions about your USB drives getting very warm when connected to your MacBook Pro, and we'd like to help. To get started, can you let us know how these drives are formatted, and if there are any other USB or external devices connected to the Mac when this happens?

Also, have you tested this in another user account to see if you get the same result? This part of the user guide will help: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Please let us know what you find!

Take care.

USB flash drive gets very hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.