Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health App Active Energy Doesn't Equal Move Ring Energy

Hi, I've recently gotten an under desk elliptical machine that I've been using during work hours. I tried using my watch workout app to log that activity, but using "elliptical" or "other" workouts resulted in much too high a calorie burn calculation. I've instead taken to manually entering a workout via my iPhone's Health app (elliptical website has a more accurate calorie burn calculator), however it doesn't give me credit towards my activity Move ring. The Exercise ring will increase by the minutes logged from the start/end time of the workout. However, the Move ring will not count the calories I add. In my Health app, it will then show Active Energy as higher than Move Activity. How do I get this to count towards my Move goal? Everything I've looked up indicates this should work so I'm not sure where my issue is.

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 2:38 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 13, 2021 1:29 PM in response to Jamie_64

Hi Jamie_64,

We understand you're trying to manually add data to the Move category. We're happy to help.

The situation you're describing is expected. Whenever you manually add a workout to the Health app, it will show up in the Activity app under the "Exercise" category, not the "Move" category.

The Move category adds progress when your watch is actually moving. For example, the swing of your arms while walking or running. It will also use the accelerometer, heart rate sensor, and GPS, to track and more accurately log your movement data under the Move category in the Activity app. If your watch/arm isn't physically moving during your workout, the Move ring won't progress.

You can find more info on using the Activity app and calibrating the watch here:

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch

Get the most accurate measurements using your Apple Watch

We hope this helps. Take care!

Jan 15, 2021 7:41 AM in response to Jamie_64

Hi Jamie_64,

Thanks for the follow up.

You are correct. If you go in to the Workout app and start an exercise in the Other category, it is going to use the heart rate monitor and motion sensors as a way of determining and tracking the activity. If your arms are steady, then the activity is solely based on the heart rate, which may not give you the most accurate results.

This isn't really a design flaw, it's more of a technical limitation of movement tracking. In your situation it sounds like you're sitting still with no movement in your arms, and your legs are moving. Since a watch is worn on your wrist it has no way of "knowing" that your legs are moving, therefore it's not going to track movement accurately because you are not moving the watch.

All of the other Workout types are calibrated with the motion sensors for the specific workout motions to more accurately track the calories and distance. With the "Other" workout type, there's no specific calibration since "Other" can mean so many different things. With "Other" it will still use the accelerometer, heart rate, and GPS as a way of giving the most accurate results. Now for your specific scenario you're in one place, so GPS isn't providing any data to help with the accuracy of calories/distance, you're arm isn't moving, so the accelerometer isn't providing any data to help with the accuracy either. The only data the watch is getting is the heart rate so it has to make the calories/distance determination based off of that one data point only, which is why your results probably aren't the most accurate.

Workout types on Apple Watch

We hope this was able to further clarify things. Cheers!

Jan 14, 2021 7:59 AM in response to mingoslkd

Thank you, mingoslkd, I appreciate the response. This still doesn't seem to make much sense to me, though. If I set my watch to record an "Other" exercise, doing the same activity (under desk elliptical with my wrist steady) will calculate way too high of a move calorie total. I'm sure it's just using the heart rate at that point, but I'm not actually moving my wrist which would be identified by the other components (i.e. accelerometer). If the objective is to move, then it should require movement. If not, then it should consistently count all active calories whether or not movement is tracked. If this is truly by design, it feels like a design flaw since this isn't handled consistently.

Health App Active Energy Doesn't Equal Move Ring Energy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.