Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving and opening files to/from desktop

Desktop is not found when trying to save file to desktop. Also when I'm in an application and trying to place a file located on the desktop, desktop option is not found. The little house icon is not showing either. I am running macOS Mojave 10.14.6

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Posted on Jan 11, 2021 5:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 5:08 AM

For home press "CMD-shift-H" while in the save/open window.

When you open a finder window can you see the sidebar?

Do you see items under "Favorites"? (If not can you mouse over Favorites and click 'show'?)

To add an item/shortcut to "Favorites" just navigate finder until you find the item then drag it over into the Favorites list. To remove an item off Favorites right-click the unwanted item in Favorites and select the remove option. That list is shared with the default save/open windows applications use.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2021 5:08 AM in response to oopsssidaizy

For home press "CMD-shift-H" while in the save/open window.

When you open a finder window can you see the sidebar?

Do you see items under "Favorites"? (If not can you mouse over Favorites and click 'show'?)

To add an item/shortcut to "Favorites" just navigate finder until you find the item then drag it over into the Favorites list. To remove an item off Favorites right-click the unwanted item in Favorites and select the remove option. That list is shared with the default save/open windows applications use.

Jan 13, 2021 3:08 PM in response to oopsssidaizy

Hey oopsssidaizy,

We understand that you're not seeing the option to save files to the Desktop and you're not seeing your Home folder. Do you see this when viewing a Finder window? If not, make sure you're not using a Guest account. If you're not using the Guest account, check your Finder view options, and make any necessary adjustments. Here's a great guide to follow, just in case: Change view options in the Finder on Mac

When saving a file, is this happening with all apps or only some? Does restarting your Mac help? Restarting can resolve many odd issues: Log out, sleep, restart, and shut down Mac

Keep us posted. Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Jan 13, 2021 6:56 PM in response to Jeff_W.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your time and expertise.

This has not solved my problem. My desktop, nor my home folder (little house icon) still is not showing up in the locations options. I have found a work-around to find the home folder from the Macintosh HD option. My home folder is located in the users folder, and when clicking on the home folder I find the desktop. It's not an ideal situation. Do you have any other suggestions on how to get my desktop to show under "locations" when saving or opening a file from an application?

This issue seems to be happening in any application that I've been using. I have also re-started, shutdown, etc. my computer several times. I went to the finder per your link above, but the link does not address the desktop situation.

Please help.

Saving and opening files to/from desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.