Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 and 2G

Does anyone else have an iPhone 12 series that won’t connect to 2G? I’m on Verizon and recently upgraded my girlfriend’s iPhone 6S to an iPhone 12 mini. I only get 1x (1xRTT or 2G) service at my house and the new phone will not connect to it. In fact it won’t connect to any 1x service anywhere. My 11pro still connects just fine. I can hold both phones in my hand and the 11Pro has 2 bars of 1x and the 12 gets nothing. She needs to be able to make phone calls at home. Believe it or not 1x is still widely relied on in rural areas.

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 9:58 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 3, 2021 7:43 PM in response to seamus277

Well, you could read the thread you posted to, but that might be too much trouble.

The iPhone 12 will only use 3G if neither 4G nor 5G is available. All carriers are phasing out 3G, and Verizon is leading the pack; they will be the first to eliminate 3G entirely in the next few months. AT&T will dump 3G early in 2022 and Sprint/T-Mobile some time next year also. Meanwhile, the carriers have removed the option to intentionally select 3G, because 3G network capacity is being scaled back so the bandwidth can be used for 5G. Thus, if you want a 5G phone you will have to give up 3G. This is true for all phones that support 5G.

Feb 4, 2021 8:55 AM in response to seamus277

I haven’t got it figured out yet and Verizon is making it very difficult to get a straight answer from them. This much is clear: iPhone 12 series is capable of receiving 2G, but ours won’t.

The main problem is that she’s on her family’s plan and I’m on mine, which means to access tech support we need to have me, her and her mom (account owner) all together just to get them to talk to us. It’s super annoying.

iPhone 12 and 2G

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.