Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Text-to-Column ability

From what I can find searching around there is no capability in Numbers equivalent to Excel's Text-to-Columns. I am so beyond shocked I don't know what to say. I've probably used Numbers a couple of times before, mainly because I'm an Apple guy and thought I should. But Excel is just so standard I rarely find an opportunity to give it a try. Today was a third chance to do something really quick and simple in Numbers (so excited I get to use an Apple app).

I have a short list of 20 or so things in a text doc in the format "product - company - price". This is awesome. I'm going to turn that into a quick three columns and make it look good but no. There is no way to turn that list of products and prices into three columns. I will NEVER use Numbers again. There is just no excusing this. If someone says I'm wrong and it is possible I will gladly eat crow. (I'm not talking about a manipulation of the data pre-Numbers, I mean a way to do it in Numbers).

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2021 7:12 PM

NYCFun wrote:

I have a short list of 20 or so things in a text doc in the format "product - company - price". This is awesome. I'm going to turn that into a quick three columns and make it look good but no. There is no way to turn that list of products and prices into three columns.

That is not entirely true. There are lots of ways. The easiest, though, is to just use , instead of - as the delimiter.

SG

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2021 7:12 PM in response to NYCFun

NYCFun wrote:

I have a short list of 20 or so things in a text doc in the format "product - company - price". This is awesome. I'm going to turn that into a quick three columns and make it look good but no. There is no way to turn that list of products and prices into three columns.

That is not entirely true. There are lots of ways. The easiest, though, is to just use , instead of - as the delimiter.

SG

Jan 12, 2021 5:41 PM in response to Badunit

I agree completely. I would prefer to never use Excel again. Then I try to parse the tiniest of data sets in Numbers, a task that has to be considered the most basic of requirements, and it isn't even in the feature set. A quick search leads to hundreds of other bewildered users stopped in their tracks with the same issue. Where is the happy middle ground? You can't just be a new paradigm without being capable.

Jan 12, 2021 9:09 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks for that. You are correct, if the delimiter is , instead of - it splits them into columns and then there is a useful import settings screen that is exactly what I was looking for. It has a few preset delimiters and the ability to choose whatever delimiter you want. Perfect. But those import settings only appear if your original data perfectly matches one of the default delimits. If it does not, the import settings screen is nowhere to be found and from what I can see there is no way to invoke it. Which means Numbers isn't great at this if the data is already in the doc. It only seems to want to help if your data is pre-formatted outside of Numbers into what Numbers is willing to recognize. This could use some enhancing but thanks for getting me to a place where I can fit my data to what Numbers can understand.

Jan 13, 2021 7:51 AM in response to Yellowbox

Thanks Ian. I guess I got into a problem because I pasted in the data (instead of importing) in a format Numbers didn't identify as a data table. At that point I'm screwed because there was no way to call up the adjust import settings. As mentioned above, if I paste it in with , instead of - it does see the delimit and parse it into columns.

Sounds like a safer bet is to always import instead of pasting.

No Text-to-Column ability

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.