Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trackpad and bluetooth mouse

On my new MacBook Air (M1 chip) with the latest operating system Big Sur 11.1

From Settings > Accessibility > Pointer control.. There is an option to "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present"

Is this option only available when one has an Apple Mouse? Has anyone ever got it to work with a non Apple mouse, if so can you share the brand, model. I can not make it work with a Logitech M720. This setting "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present" is also present in the Alternate Control Methods tab under the Enable Mouse Keys. Which, when checked will cancel the trackpad but then typing on the keyboard goes.. wonkey.

Is there a keyboard function to turn off the track pad.. as there is on every MS laptop I have ever owned?

Thank you for your time

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 13, 2021 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 5:08 PM

Hi Ralph, it is hit and miss. Apple mouse will work for sure, so do most of the Microsoft bluetooth mouse. What does not work is using the Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac, trackpad still works even when this setting "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present" is enabled. I have tickets open with Logitech and with Apple. The mouse is properly recognized and works as expected. Since this mouse carries the title "For Mac" I feel it should just work. It is a hit and miss, I think the solution needs to come from both parties.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2021 5:08 PM in response to Ralph6410

Hi Ralph, it is hit and miss. Apple mouse will work for sure, so do most of the Microsoft bluetooth mouse. What does not work is using the Logitech MX Master 3 for Mac, trackpad still works even when this setting "Ignore built-in trackpad when mouse or wireless trackpad is present" is enabled. I have tickets open with Logitech and with Apple. The mouse is properly recognized and works as expected. Since this mouse carries the title "For Mac" I feel it should just work. It is a hit and miss, I think the solution needs to come from both parties.

Trackpad and bluetooth mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.