Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple logo flash at startup

New iPhone 12 Pro. At startup the Apple logo flashes super bright for a brief second then the screen goes dark for about 10 seconds before the Apple Logo re appears at normal brightness to finish the startup. I’ve had iPhones for years and never had the logo turn on and then off during startup. Is that Normal for the 12?

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 4:36 PM

There seem to be more reports of this issue over the past few days; as of now, there's no official response from Apple yet, but it's certainly not normal.

For the most part it seems the phone can function normally after it boots up, although in my case it eventually led to the phone needing to be connected to power before it would boot up. I'm waiting to see what Apple says over the next few days.

1,089 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2021 4:36 PM in response to Blue-per

There seem to be more reports of this issue over the past few days; as of now, there's no official response from Apple yet, but it's certainly not normal.

For the most part it seems the phone can function normally after it boots up, although in my case it eventually led to the phone needing to be connected to power before it would boot up. I'm waiting to see what Apple says over the next few days.

Jan 21, 2021 5:50 AM in response to roT-

My phone has been replaced 2 times, same issue. My wife’s phone did not initially have this issue. Blue iPhone 12 Pro Max 128. But I checked it last night and yes it also now has the issue. If software does not fix this then Apple needs to address this issue and fix the hardware issue and offer customers free replacements, we should also be getting a free 2 year AppleCare policy as well to cover and protect us during our contract obligations as this issue seems like it could damage the screen over time.

Not happy with what I am hearing...

Jan 30, 2021 5:37 AM in response to Blue-per

After more than two weeks, I think that it is time to sum up the situation: the "flashing Apple logo" issue described by Blue-per does not occur when we unbox and boot the iPhone 12 (mini)/12 Pro (Max) for the first time, it occurs when the iPhone is already set up.

In most cases the phone performs normally after it boots up. Some users found hardware problems when using their new iPhone (phone needing to be connected to power in order to boot up, screen burn-in, battery charges very slowly, camera not taking HDR photos, etc.).

In my opinion those problems are not related with the flashing logo at startup, because they are very different from each other and they are isolated cases. They are just coincidences.

That does not mean that the flashing logo is not an issue: there are iPhone 12/12 Pro which boots with the (classic) steady Apple logo and some iPhone 12/12 Pro that do not, so it is obviously not a normal thing. It is not a "new feature" or "expected behavior".

After reading other answers on the forum, we can deduce that the issue does not occur on iPhone 12/12 Pro that were shipped with iOS 14.1 or with iOS 14.2 pre-installed, it (mainly) occurs on iPhone 12/12 Pro shipped in January with iOS 14.3 pre-installed. As a matter of fact a lot of people returned the device during the last weeks and got a new one with the same problem.

Now, we suppose (and hope) that the issue is part of iOS 14.3 and not in the hardware of the phone. In this case Apple should be able to fix it with an update, maybe already with a sub-dot-release (iOS 14.4.X) or later with iOS 14.5. There are some comments in favor of that supposition too, where people noticed that issue after updating from iOS 14.2 to iOS 14.3.

On the other hand, it is strange that (most) iPhones who updated the operating system from 14.2 to 14.3 did not experience the issue. And it is even stranger that I read a reply from a user who encountered the problem already on iOS 14.2. Those facts contradict our supposition above, and maybe the flashing logo has nothing to do with iOS 14.3.

I am sure a lot of people have this problem too; they do not notice it, because nowadays we do not shutdown and restart our phones very often. And even if they do that, they (probably) don't keep looking at the boot screen for issues.

It is very hard for us to guess if it is a software or a hardware problem. Only Apple can give us an official answer, and in order to solve the problem as soon as possible I ask you to continue upvoting this and other similar posts (clicking on "I have this question too"), commenting if you have some news from Apple and reporting the case to the Apple Support.

Jan 30, 2021 6:42 AM in response to palm0x

What I noticed after 6 replacement devices that the issue start only after 1st full charge.

device out of the box is working fine even after activation and moving the data .

working normally if partially charged , i kept my last replaced device for 3 days working normally with partially charged battery and when I decided to fully charge it to confirm if the issue will happen again or not. Guest what apple logo start to flash again. So i send it back to replace it.

Mar 16, 2021 8:24 AM in response to Peterisil

To be clear, if you hold the Side button until the first Apple logo appears, and then release it, and the phone starts normally 15-30 seconds later without any further action on your part your phone is working as designed, and this is just an annoying glitch in the boot-up process. If the phone has any other symptoms they should be reported to Apple using the Get Support link at the top of this page. Any other issues are unrelated to the double-logo appearance, and should be dealt with separately.

Pressing the Side button several times won’t cause any issues, but it’s the equivalent of pressing the same floor button in an elevator several times.

Feb 15, 2021 11:23 PM in response to Phoenixin

First, this is a user to user discussion. The Apple employees you are hoping to reach are not here. Apple does not read these forums except to monitor for adherence to the terms of use.

Second, as users, we couldn't possibly care less if you buy Samsung from now on.

Third, you can't point to anything the phone is doing wrong that stops you from using it as you want to. Whether the logo flashes at boot time couldn't possibly be of less significance. The phone boots, the phone operates completely normally, but when you reboot it the logo flashes? For that you want to abandon Apple for Samsung? Whether the logo flashes at reboot is somehow a signifier of quality and reliability?

But to bring the post full circle, Apple engineering is not here.

Mar 22, 2021 6:45 AM in response to DIESEL-X

While this has nothing to do with the Apple logo flashing, if you have manually added music from your computer you must restore using the computer, as the iTunes/Music app on your computer is the only source for manually added music, unless you subscribe to iTunes Match, which copies your music library from your computer to Apple’s cloud. Backups do not include music, as that would be redundant.

For information on iTunes Match see→Subscribe to iTunes Match - Apple Support

Mar 31, 2021 6:38 AM in response to Tikabirbi

Tikabirbi wrote:

I also have the same issue :( the apple logo flickers and 10 seconds after the normal logo would appear. I’ve asked @AppleSupport through Twitter and they said:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/55e24dc7-1fca-4ad1-b6bc-a478bed01bd2

But even after i updated to iOS 14.4.2 this issue still happens.

@Tikabirbi

In the screenshot, when you ask "Is there any temporary solution for this issue", besides the logo flashing at boot up, are you experiencing any material problem with the phone that is linked to the flashing?

Or are you just asking a temporary solution for the flashing issue to disappear?

Apr 8, 2021 12:31 PM in response to hippie1

hippie1 wrote:

They shut off their phone because they don't want to be answering it in the middle of the night.

Which is why "Do Not Disturb" mode exists.

If you do work for Apple, you are doing a terrible job. I had planned on buying a new MacBook Pro when they are released (probably this fall) but your constant "cosmetic" (it is much more than that) defense has me reconsidering. I have bought only Apple for over three decades.
Congratulations, I'm thinking about a windoze machine now. Maybe that's who you work for?

I don't work for Apple, and no one here works for Apple except for the moderators who monitor for adherence to the Terms of Use you agreed to when you created a login.

I and everyone else here are just Apple users, like you.

You dislike the response that the flash is merely cosmetic, but it literally has no actual effect on any use of the phone.

If it is "much more," tell me what a logo flash at boot is stopping you from doing when your phone is booted and operating.

Really, if you want to buy a Windows machine and/or an Android phone, if they better suit your needs, feel free, it's all about finding what is best for you.

May 12, 2021 11:57 AM in response to hippie1

hippie1 wrote:

I would be willing to bet this comment doesn't clear the censors or is removed quickly.
I have noticed a lot of postings critical of Apple or these "Communities" disappear.
Support used to be what Apple had over others. I fear that is no longer the case.
Sad
Has me thinking different about future purchases

This is a place where other Apple users try help each other, not criticise. So when post is deleted is because doesn’t meet the community guidelines described here, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208863.

If you have a feedback you wish to share or provide to Apple, do it by completing the form at www.apple.com/feedback as that is the official channel for it.

Apple logo flash at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.