Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dual SIM: SMS with eSIM doesn’t work!

I have a physical SIM as primary with my old operator and signed up with a new operator with eSIM, but I can not send SMS with the eSIM when both plans are on and the eSIM is selected for data. I had to turn the primary off completely to send SMS!

Yes, I tried following the official guide but it did NOT work! I got a Fail to send and retrying with options “try again” and “try again with Secondary” both failed even with both plans showing full connectivity in the status bar. I have tried rebooting the iPhone and also tried turning on and of mobile data but nothing changes. The only way to send SMS with eSIM is to completely deactivate the physical SIM.

however, receiving calls and SMS works fine from the eSIM and these instructions works, it is just texting as SMS that doesn’t work. I tried the eSIM operator’s instructions for setting up SMS, which is by dialling a number (of course I followed the instructions from apple on how to select the eSIM for calling), but here I too only for error.

The problem is clearly in the software.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 6:18 PM

s_n_o_w wrote:

The only way to send SMS with eSIM is to completely deactivate the physical SIM.

To use two different carriers, your iPhone must be unlocked. Otherwise, both plans must be from the same carrier. If a CDMA carrier provides your first SIM, your second SIM won't support CDMA. Contact your carrier for more information. 

If you have an enterprise or corporate cellular service plan, check with your company administrator to see if they support this feature.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 6:18 PM in response to s_n_o_w

s_n_o_w wrote:

The only way to send SMS with eSIM is to completely deactivate the physical SIM.

To use two different carriers, your iPhone must be unlocked. Otherwise, both plans must be from the same carrier. If a CDMA carrier provides your first SIM, your second SIM won't support CDMA. Contact your carrier for more information. 

If you have an enterprise or corporate cellular service plan, check with your company administrator to see if they support this feature.

Jan 16, 2021 3:00 PM in response to SravanKrA

In my country the operators don't generally lock your phone unless you yourself activated the lock by entering the wrong PUK code, or if the phone was purchased before 2014-2018 when the operators stopped locking the phones. The eSIM that did not work with SMS is from the operator which sold me the phone last week, notice that I could send SMS with my old operator that I did not buy the phone from.

No, it is a privat phone and privately signed plans. Both operators/carriers support dual SIM and eSIM and there is no information from either that they should interfere with each other.

No, my country does not have CDMA, we use GSM, LTE, 4G and 5G as I am in Europe and note the US.

dual SIM: SMS with eSIM doesn’t work!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.