Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double-click won't expand Safari fully

Before I upgraded to Big Sur, I could double-click on the top menu bar of an application to expand it to fill whatever screen I was working on. Not go full screen, but expand the window to the size of the display.

After Big Sur, this behavior seems to have been changed to "expand vertically, but not horizontally".

I've tried to find a shift/ctl/alt/cmd combo that would let me do what I used to, but so far have struck out.

Does anybody know how to do this in Big Sur?

Steve

PS: For my own reasons, I don't want to go "full screen", just "full size windows".

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 7:39 AM

parkerpress wrote:

• @leroydouglas : Just tried this: Option Green pill just expands vertically, and a little bit horizontally (always to a set width, which appears to be about 75% of the width of the screen), but will not "fill the screen".

The two apps I'm playing with as experiments are Mail and Safari.

Make a small (unusable) mail window and double-click on the title bar. It will fill my Retina display on my MacBook Pro.
• Make a small safari window and double click on the title bar (or opt-green-ball) and it expands vertically, but only about 75% of horizontal.

Steve

Is your display set to default resolution—

does this effect your day to day work flow (?)

as an alternative

double click any border of the window to make it expand fully

good luck with your " playing with as experiments"

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2021 7:39 AM in response to parkerpress

parkerpress wrote:

• @leroydouglas : Just tried this: Option Green pill just expands vertically, and a little bit horizontally (always to a set width, which appears to be about 75% of the width of the screen), but will not "fill the screen".

Make a small (unusable) mail window and double-click on the title bar. It will fill my Retina display on my MacBook Pro.
• Make a small safari window and double click on the title bar (or opt-green-ball) and it expands vertically, but only about 75% of horizontal.

Steve

Is your display set to default resolution—

does this effect your day to day work flow (?)

as an alternative

double click any border of the window to make it expand fully

good luck with your " playing with as experiments"

Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Jan 16, 2021 7:30 AM in response to leroydouglas

@leroydouglas : Just tried this: Option Green pill just expands vertically, and a little bit horizontally (always to a set width, which appears to be about 75% of the width of the screen), but will not "fill the screen".

• Make a small (unusable) mail window and double-click on the title bar. It will fill my Retina display on my MacBook Pro.

Steve

Jan 16, 2021 7:24 AM in response to parkerpress

parkerpress wrote:

Before I upgraded to Big Sur, I could double-click on the top menu bar of an application to expand it to fill whatever screen I was working on. Not go full screen, but expand the window to the size of the display.

After Big Sur, this behavior seems to have been changed to "expand vertically, but not horizontally".

I've tried to find a shift/ctl/alt/cmd combo that would let me do what I used to, but so far have struck out.

Does anybody know how to do this in Big Sur?

Steve

Hold the Option key and click the green pill button in the upper left of the window

Jan 16, 2021 7:50 AM in response to leroydouglas

Not trying to be flippant here, but it shouldn't really matter if "my display is set to default resolution". Window size is still window size, and double-clicking to expand to whatever that is used to work properly. In Big Sur, it expands fully in the Mail app, just not the Safari App. I have a 2015 MBP 15" Retina display with the laptop screen set to "More Space" (not default).

And workflow in Safari? I don't think it's really applicable or relative to the question I asked, which is simply how to expand a Safari window to the full size of the screen. But you asked, so "I sometimes have multiple browser windows open and stacked on the right side of the screen while I work in big windows or other apps on the left 80% width. If an alert is triggered in one of those tiny windows, I want to instantly expand that window to see the detail on the rest of the page.

Steve

Double-click won't expand Safari fully

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.