Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to replace a song (with a new copy of it) on iPod Nano

I have a damaged copy of a song on my iPod. This song/track was synched using iTunes on my Mac from an CD. How can I replace that song (in its place from the CD)?

I understand I can manually copy the track but I don't think that replaces the song in it's sequenced "location" but rather sets it up in as a new playlist.

I don't see a way to delete the song/track so that I can synch again and (will it?) recopy the song. How can I delete the track and resynch?

Thanks.

iPod Nano (7th Gen)

Posted on Jan 16, 2021 6:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 10:13 AM

Is this the correct sequence. Move CD. Delete in iTunes. Resynch with iPod. "Add to library" to add it back to iTunes. Resynch again?

Hi D Rennman,

Yes, that is exactly the correct sequence!

To your previous question, the "music media folder location" set in Preferences > Files tells where newly imported files will be added. Ones already in the library just stay where they are, which can get a little jumbled as the years go by. If you ever want to neaten it up, you can use the "Consolidate library" feature as described in here: Change where your music files are stored on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2021 10:13 AM in response to drennman10

Is this the correct sequence. Move CD. Delete in iTunes. Resynch with iPod. "Add to library" to add it back to iTunes. Resynch again?

Hi D Rennman,

Yes, that is exactly the correct sequence!

To your previous question, the "music media folder location" set in Preferences > Files tells where newly imported files will be added. Ones already in the library just stay where they are, which can get a little jumbled as the years go by. If you ever want to neaten it up, you can use the "Consolidate library" feature as described in here: Change where your music files are stored on Mac - Apple Support

Jan 17, 2021 9:33 AM in response to ed2345

Thank you! Though I have to apologize by following up with another question. I find that there are two locations for iTunes Music. Is the 2nd one is the correct one?

1st: Documents>Music>iTunes>iTunesMusic>list of albums (I don't see my recently added CDs in this location)

2nd: Music>iTunes>iTunesMedia>Music>list of albums (I do see the "problem CD" in this list)

I moved the "problem CD" into a New Folder with a place-holder name. However that CD still shows up in my iTunes and so doesn't get deleted from the iPod even though it is no longer listed in the Music>iTunes>iTunesMedia>Music>list of albums.

I can delete the CD inside iTunes and that does make the CD disappear from iTunes and so be deleted from the iPod. But moving the CD back from its placeholder into Music>iTunes>iTunesMedia>Music>list of albums doesn't put it back into iTunes.

Then is there another place that iTunes stores its media?

Or is there some type of registration within iTunes when media is imported so that moving an item to a temp folder doesn't remove if from iTunes while moving it back (after deletion within iTunes) doesn't "restore" it?

Anyway now I have a good copy of the CD but it's not available within iTunes and so not synched with iPod.

More info would be fantastic! Thanks.

How to replace a song (with a new copy of it) on iPod Nano

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.