Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Mobile Data Options visible

I have a new iphone 12 pro and a contract with O2 which gives me 4G and WiFi calling. I have an eSIM which is my default for voice and data. When I go to Settings / Mobile Data there is no option to see Mobile Data options so i can not see if 4G is enabled on my phone and there is no option to turn roaming on and off. Can anyone help?

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 3:46 AM

I have the eSIM turned on as my Primary line for both voice and data. The hard SIM is installed for use when I go abroad (unlikely at the moment!) The hard SIM is turned off at present. Under these settings, no mobile data options are visible.

I removed the hard SIM from my phone so that it was connecting to voice and data only through the O2 eSIM. On re-inserting the empty sim tray, no "mobile data options" was visible, but after following the prompt to update my contacts from the hard SIM data plan to the eSIM, immediately, the "Mobile Data Options" was visible under Settings / Mobile Data. It seems that when both the eSIM and hard SIM are in the phone, even when the hard SIM is turned off, this option is not available.

Do you think this is a problem? Should i simply remove the hard SIM and only insert it when I am travelling for use abroad? I do not know if there is a real problem with being unable to access Mobile Data Options for the eSIM

Thank you

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 3:46 AM in response to Axel Foley

I have the eSIM turned on as my Primary line for both voice and data. The hard SIM is installed for use when I go abroad (unlikely at the moment!) The hard SIM is turned off at present. Under these settings, no mobile data options are visible.

I removed the hard SIM from my phone so that it was connecting to voice and data only through the O2 eSIM. On re-inserting the empty sim tray, no "mobile data options" was visible, but after following the prompt to update my contacts from the hard SIM data plan to the eSIM, immediately, the "Mobile Data Options" was visible under Settings / Mobile Data. It seems that when both the eSIM and hard SIM are in the phone, even when the hard SIM is turned off, this option is not available.

Do you think this is a problem? Should i simply remove the hard SIM and only insert it when I am travelling for use abroad? I do not know if there is a real problem with being unable to access Mobile Data Options for the eSIM

Thank you

Jan 19, 2021 8:42 PM in response to MB5100

I now completely understand your scenario. I also duplicated the scenario on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I moved my cellular service for voice and data to the eSIM and simply turned the Physical SIM OFF. The results were the same what you are experiencing. I could not see the Cellular Data options. Once I removed the Physical SIM card then all was working well with the eSIM.

What I learned from this is that if you have a Physical SIM card inserted along with an active eSIM then the Physical SIM card mush be set to ON as well. If the Physical SIM card slot is set to OFF then the SIM card should be removed.

Axel F.

Jan 17, 2021 5:52 AM in response to MB5100

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Jan 18, 2021 9:37 AM in response to Axel Foley

Totally impossible to speak to a person at 02. but I have now re-set network settings. Before re-joining my home wifi the phone was showing 4G in the top right. as soon as i connected, i can only see the wifi symbol.

Mobile Phone Options does not show but I wonder if this is because i have both an eSIM and a hard SIM installed, so i simply have to turn mobile data off for whichever one of these I am using? No 4G option anywhere although it is clearly working.....

Jan 18, 2021 6:39 PM in response to MB5100

You mentioned that you have an eSIM and a Physical SIM installed. I am assuming that these two are separate and active lines with their own respective phone numbers. Try setting up a default voice line (Physical SIM) and a default data line (eSIM). Does that resolve the issue? Furthermore, if that does not work then try turning OFF one line and see whether the issue continues.

Axel F.

No Mobile Data Options visible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.