Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crackling sound via bluetooth on Sony HT-RT3 sound bar.

Hi all,

I have two MacBooks pros running two different versions of OS (Catalina and Big Sur).

When I connect them with Sony HT-RT3 via Bluetooth, whenever I start to play something, I always get a crackling sound.

This is very annoying and I've confirmed that there is no such noise when I use my iPhone (via Bluetooth).

Some answers say that it might be an issue related to Wi-Fi interference, but I cannot agree with this opinion because:

1. I've confirmed the signal power of 2.4 GHz frequency Wi-Fi, and there were not really strong signals near the speakers (I use 5 GHz frequency at home).
  2. I've confirmed that there is no crackling noise when I use my iPhone via the same Bluetooth.

What I feeling about this issue is that when OS plays a muted sound stream, it seems that the device turned off something, and when it starts to play a real sound stream, the device turns on something.

But, this mechanism makes a delay.

So, when it turns something to play, there is a sound stream already arrived, and it needs to play the sound stream from the middle and not from the beginning (due to the turning on delay).

It makes a weird crackling noise (because it lost the head of the stream).

There is a related issue here and it doesn't really help to solve this issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251171920

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 6:48 AM

Oh. As soon as I posted, I've found a solution. :)

Simply, download "Bluetooth Explorer" from developer tools, and turn off the use of "AAC" and "aptX" codec.

(Tools => Audio Options => check "Disable AAC" and "Disable aptX")

1 reply

Crackling sound via bluetooth on Sony HT-RT3 sound bar.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.