Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't update existing apps

If I want to install a new app from the app store I can do that without any problems and it accepts my password every time. However, if I want to update any existing apps (13 needing updates at the moment) a box comes up asking me to sign in to iTunes and when I put my password in it says it's not valid. I got no help from the online chat on the Apple website as they didn't understand it wasn't a problem with my apple id.

The only answer I can come up with is that I am somehow signed into iTunes under a different id and it is trying to match my password with that (there's no option to enter / change id, just password). But I've never used iTunes on this device.

But why is it trying to redirect me to iTunes in the first place when I am trying to update apps through the app store?????

This is driving me nuts, can anyone help?

Thanks

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 4:16 AM

Thanks raina_b22, we did originally use a single shared id for all devices but recently switched to having individual ids for each user so that's probably the explanation. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling, fingers crossed!

2 replies

Jan 20, 2021 6:12 AM in response to Treestreestrees

Hey Treestreestrees,

Thanks for asking Apple Support Communities! We understand that when you're trying to update existing apps on your iPhone, you're being prompted to enter your Apple ID details and it isn't being accepted. Did you possibly install these apps while using a different Apple ID? If so, that's the information it's asking for. If so, to resolve this, you'll need to remove the apps and install them again using your current, or preferred Apple ID.

Thanks again, and take care.

Can't update existing apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.