Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil keeps disconnecting

My Apple Pencil worked fine the first time I used it. Now, after a few weeks of non use, it won’t work. It says it’s connected for a few moments then says it’s disconnected.

I've tried tightening the nib, changing the nib, turning my mini iPad on and off again, turned Bluetooth on and off again, done the ‘forget device’ option. It lets me pair the pencil and iPad. I keep it in its case so it’s not been damaged since I last used it.

I keep trying to get through to Apple support but their summary of my purchases does not include my pencil or keyboard even though I bought these from their shop, same as I did my mini iPad. Without those details I can’t get through to their support.

I’d be really grateful if someone had any other ideas of where I go from here.

iPad mini 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 7:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 7:09 AM

Starting at the beginning, here is Apple’s guide for pairing and using the Apple Pencil:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If still having difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides for the Apple Pencil that may be helpful in working through common issues:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

If you have checked through potential issues using the linked troubleshooting guide, then your Apple Pencil may be displaying symptoms of a failing or dead battery - that will not accept or reliably hold charge.

Assuming that you do not have any other iPad charging issues - and that the Lightning Port of your iPad is free from debris - whilst the Pencil is plugged-in to the Lightning Port of your iPad, verify that the Pencil is recognised:

Settings > General > About

Scroll to the bottom of the page - and you should find entries for the Pencil (iPadOS13 and earlier: one each for the physical and Bluetooth connections. iPadOS14: sometimes only one entry). Finding these listed entries suggests that the Pencil electronics are good - otherwise, you have a totally dead pencil.

Check the Battery Widget for the charge status of the Pencil. Is it 100%? If not, let the Pencil charge; if it is fully charged, disconnect from the iPad.

When disconnected from iPad, does the Pencil disappear from the Battery Widget - or it’s indicated state of charge suddenly fall? If either of these are true, then the Pencil battery is likely to be failing or dead.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

I hope this information proves to be helpful in both diagnosing and resolving the problem.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2021 7:09 AM in response to Bellsbellsbells

Starting at the beginning, here is Apple’s guide for pairing and using the Apple Pencil:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

If still having difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides for the Apple Pencil that may be helpful in working through common issues:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

If you have checked through potential issues using the linked troubleshooting guide, then your Apple Pencil may be displaying symptoms of a failing or dead battery - that will not accept or reliably hold charge.

Assuming that you do not have any other iPad charging issues - and that the Lightning Port of your iPad is free from debris - whilst the Pencil is plugged-in to the Lightning Port of your iPad, verify that the Pencil is recognised:

Settings > General > About

Scroll to the bottom of the page - and you should find entries for the Pencil (iPadOS13 and earlier: one each for the physical and Bluetooth connections. iPadOS14: sometimes only one entry). Finding these listed entries suggests that the Pencil electronics are good - otherwise, you have a totally dead pencil.

Check the Battery Widget for the charge status of the Pencil. Is it 100%? If not, let the Pencil charge; if it is fully charged, disconnect from the iPad.

When disconnected from iPad, does the Pencil disappear from the Battery Widget - or it’s indicated state of charge suddenly fall? If either of these are true, then the Pencil battery is likely to be failing or dead.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

I hope this information proves to be helpful in both diagnosing and resolving the problem.

Apple Pencil keeps disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.