Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my 2015 Late model wirh one Terabyte (one Drive) iMac as slow as old eMacs nearly- 50 to access memory it has DRAM but thought it was only for olderlow access not all-its all-its too slow to me doing an IMAC work needed one with flash I fear

DO I neeed to get a new iMac to have sw run fairly well this is terribly slow underpowered to access memory at 50 nanosec DRAM best speed for programs loading instructions its seems absurdly slow to sell with memory access that is so much worse than flash that its more of a legacy door stop (no offense meant but the memory arbitration is) than a machine!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 1:54 PM

You have a late 2015? If this is your model:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.8-21-inch-aluminum-late-2015-specs.html

then you have the entry level iMac with a snail like super slow 5400 rpm hard drive. It does everything super slow. And, if you have the minimum 8 GB RAM, it makes it worse.

You can download, run, and post the results of a free diagnostic tool app using the third little icon from the right in the tool bar of the reply window - it is available at the developer' s site or the app store:

www.etrecheck.com

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2021 1:54 PM in response to Bruce Pietsch

You have a late 2015? If this is your model:

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-i5-2.8-21-inch-aluminum-late-2015-specs.html

then you have the entry level iMac with a snail like super slow 5400 rpm hard drive. It does everything super slow. And, if you have the minimum 8 GB RAM, it makes it worse.

You can download, run, and post the results of a free diagnostic tool app using the third little icon from the right in the tool bar of the reply window - it is available at the developer' s site or the app store:

www.etrecheck.com

Jan 27, 2021 2:02 PM in response to Bruce Pietsch

Got it to collate my families photos and movies but it is too slow to make iMoives so its a total wash of a computer and I am angry Apple would offer such an old memory access on Terabyte fo Ram- I assumed it had some wizerdry in memory arbitration to speed this up but this is a lemon- should have returned as soon as I saw it was slower than my 1st iMac with lamp! Allas budget not what it was- guessing to get same one to do what I need I need to get one with 512 SDRAM and 32 Gig video Ram etc. Idk prob go with Macbook Pro 15 inch one terabyte as this has scared me away form iMascs for a long while! Sad! I shold know better...Im a SW engineer--alas!

Jan 27, 2021 2:26 PM in response to Bruce Pietsch

I think we have a bit of a misunderstanding here: there is RAM modules which is the memory. 8 GB is now considered the minimum; 16 much better and if you're into videos/movie rendering/etc, 32 is better. Then there is the hard drive - nothing at all to do with memory - it is the space where all of your files, etc. including the OS and system files are "parked". It is also the place where anything you do takes place. The old spinning drives were just that: much like a DVD or record player, it would spin and data would be written to it. If it was the slow one, it would spin and read/write slowly; nowadays, there are SSDs which are much much faster but the basic concept of storage is still the same.

You just need to dig for the tech specs of the machines. iMacs are great - I got a refurb 21.5" iMac from Apple with a 512 GB SSD as a hard drive (the default for those 21.5" was also a slow 5400 rpm spinning drive, but this one was custom configured with an SSD and 16 GB of RAM). Works like a charm.

Why is my 2015 Late model wirh one Terabyte (one Drive) iMac as slow as old eMacs nearly- 50 to access memory it has DRAM but thought it was only for olderlow access not all-its all-its too slow to me doing an IMAC work needed one with flash I fear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.