Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remap specific keys on MacBook keyboard in Big Sur 11.1?

Using a 2015 12-inch MacBook Retina running Big Sur 11.1.

I want to remap these specific keys:

— I want the “fn” key (bottom left of keyboard) to no longer be the “function” key but be remapped to be an extra “delete” or “backspace” key

— I want the Caps Lock key to be remapped to become an extra “return/enter” key

— I want the backslash key (third from top on right edge) to be remapped as a “forward delete” key

What is the easiest/best way to do this? And even if not all three remappings are possible, I’d like to do even just one or two of the remappings.

On my previous computer (MacBook running 10.6.8) this remapping was easily achieved with various third-party Extensions in the System Preferences, but obviously none of those old Extensions will work with Big Sur any more. Are there new Extensions that would do this? If so, which ones? And if not Extensions, are there any other obvious or built-in techniques for remapping keys? Thanks.

MacBook

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 9:52 AM

Give the macro app Keyboard Maestro a try. It should be able to do what you want and much, much more. It has a demo version your can try. There are other macro apps available at the App Store. Just search for "macro".

Similar questions

8 replies

Jan 28, 2021 11:17 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Wow, that's great! It took a couple tries to get it installed correctly (that's the hard part -- there are a few tricky steps), but once I did it was effortless to remap those exact three keys as I desired, plus countless other remappings if I so desire in the future. Karabiner Elements really is an excellent key remapping program -- the best I've yet encountered. Solved!

How to remap specific keys on MacBook keyboard in Big Sur 11.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.