Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp Windows - won't boot unless GPU drivers are uninstalled

I have a 2017 iMac 27" with a Radeon 580 GPU. I am running the most up to date version of Big Sur.

Windows installs fine. Bootcamp enumerates and once drivers are installed Windows needs to reboot. When trying to reboot Windows is never able to reboot unless I boot into Safe Mode and disable/uninstall the drivers and software for the GPU. After that it will boot into Windows just fine using the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter drivers. If I try to install any version of the drivers they supposedly install fine but ultimately I end up with the same results - failed boot after failed boot until recovery mode.

I have tried Windows 1909 and 20H2.

I have tried getting the drivers from https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp and tried different versions.

I have tried getting the drivers and following the directions from bootcampdrivers.com.

I have tried not letting the machine restart until all possible updates have been run in Windows.

Any help or advice toward getting Windows to actually run with the GPU would be greatly appreciated!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 4:29 PM

Similar questions

15 replies

Jan 27, 2021 5:54 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks for asking. The driver version that comes with Bootcamp is 26.20.13001.53002.

I have included a screen shot along with another screenshot I found interesting when investigating as much as possible before the first reboot.

The timestamps on the driver events don't match the date and time when the screen capture was taken. Could be meaningless but I found it interesting.

Jan 28, 2021 4:04 PM in response to Loner T

Automatic updates were enabled. All of these had been run and I tested the boot cycle several times before booting back over to Mac OS to work for the day. Nothing had seemed to be broken. These are the installed updates:

If I look at the ntbtlog.txt file I can see that the the Radeon driver isn't loading properly to begin with the boot is just making it through somehow. I can upload the entire file if necessary.

Jan 28, 2021 8:26 AM in response to Loner T

They are all different.

This is what AMD has available: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp

This is what bootcampdrivers.com has: https://www.bootcampdrivers.com

However, none of them work and all produce the same result. I am curious if it isn't the GPU drivers but maybe a PCI driver and when the GPU drivers are disabled/uninstalled it doesn't cause the issue?

Jan 28, 2021 9:42 AM in response to Loner T

These are the drivers listed in the BootCamp.xml file:

</Name>

<Name> "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc." Display Driver

<InfName>C0350660.inf</InfName>

<Class>Display</Class>

<ClassGUID>{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}</ClassGUID>

<CatalogFile>C0350660.CAT</CatalogFile>

<Provider> "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."</Provider>

<DriverVer>01/08/2020, 26.20.13001.53002</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>B350622\atikmdag.sys</ServiceBinary>

<HardwareID></HardwareID>

<isX64>yes</isX64>

</Name>

<Name> "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc." Display Driver

<InfName>U0350660.inf</InfName>

<Class>Display</Class>

<ClassGUID>{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}</ClassGUID>

<CatalogFile>U0350660.CAT</CatalogFile>

<Provider> "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc."</Provider>

<DriverVer>01/08/2020, 26.20.13001.53002</DriverVer>

<ServiceBinary>B350622\atikmdag.sys</ServiceBinary>

<HardwareID></HardwareID>

<isX64>yes</isX64>

Jan 28, 2021 12:06 PM in response to Waffles82

So the procedure I followed was after running the BootCamp installer I told it to not restart on its own. I then held down shift and rebooted the machine from the start menu so I could have it reboot that first time into Safe Mode.

On a USB flash drive I had both DDU 18.0.3.5 (which I got from bootcampdrivers.com) and the Windows Support Software which I had downloaded from the BootCamp Assistant application on the Mac OS partition on my iMac.

In Safe Mode I ran DDU three times (twice with no restart and then finally with a restart - basically the instructions given from bootcampdrivers.com). When Windows had rebooted normally I confirmed that the display was being controlled by the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter drivers through device manager. Then I navigated to the AMD setup application in the Windows Support Software file on the USB drive and ran it to reinstall the AMD drivers.

The machine would then reboot into Windows without issue. I tested it multiple times.

I am now running Windows updates to see if there is something there which will break it.

Bootcamp Windows - won't boot unless GPU drivers are uninstalled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.