Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"This application is not trusted and may be impersonating Google Chrome."

When I looked into my screen time hours in Macbook, I noticed something weird about the Chrome app. 

Here my Mac says "This application is not trusted and may be impersonating Google Chrome." But, I downloaded this app through google's official website or AppStore (do not remember), and I never deleted and redownloaded it before. Does anyone have the same message from their computers? If it's not the authentic Chrome app, I will be very concerned... Is there a way to check if my apps on Macbook are safe, too?

MacBook, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 4:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2021 6:52 PM

sky486 wrote:

When I looked into my screen time hours in Macbook, I noticed something weird about the Chrome app. 
Here my Mac says "This application is not trusted and may be impersonating Google Chrome."

But, I downloaded this app through google's official website or AppStore

Then I would simple ignore the interface, it is not a perfect science.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2021 6:52 PM in response to sky486

sky486 wrote:

Here my Mac says "This application is not trusted and may be impersonating Google Chrome."

But, I downloaded this app through google's official website or AppStore

Then I would simple ignore the interface, it is not a perfect science.

Feb 5, 2021 10:42 AM in response to sky486

I have the same problem on my m1 MacBook air running the latest versions of macOS (11.2) and Chrome "88.0.4324.150 (Official Build) (arm64)". I also downloaded it from the official site. What worries me is that macOS thinks I have two versions of Chrome, one of which doesn't have the warning.

However, I don't have two versions of Chrome downloaded, as far as I can tell. When I search launcher or the application folder for 'chrome', only one result shows up.

After poking around a bit more, I wonder if, instead of thinking it's the same app, macOS treats each update of chrome as a separate app? Then, once you update, it marks old versions as possible impersonators? What makes me think this, is after I updated chrome, my screen time for the version without the warning steadily increased, while the version with the warning stayed the same.

"This application is not trusted and may be impersonating Google Chrome."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.