Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New AT&T SIM card for iPhone 12 Pro?

Hi:

Just upgraded my 3 year old iPhone X to a iPhone 12 Pro. I transferred the SIM card from the iPhone X to the iPhone 12 Pro. Love the new phone, but have a question re the SIM card:

Do I need to go into the AT&T store to get a new SIM card?

The iPhone 12 Pro seems to work fine with the old SIM card from the iPhone X. But there is no info regarding cellular service in the icon:

And some folks seem to say that if one wants newest security features and 5G, one does indeed need a new SIM card. Dealing with AT&T always is a huge time sink, often with what appear to be randomly generated answers depending who one talks to, so I'm hoping someone knowledgeable on the Apple forums can give me true scoop :)

Thanks very much!

PS the new phone is indeed a iPhone 12 Pro, but the dropdown menu below does not give that as an option, so used the most recent iPhone they have available from the menu, the iPhone 11 Pro.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 10:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 10:26 AM

Turn OFF Wi-Fi and see whether the iPhone 12 Pro displays 5G as the cellular connection. If it displays LTE then you are still on the 4G Network.

Furthermore, I recommend that you contact AT&T and ask them whether you should be using a 5G SIM Card. I am with Verizon and T-Mobile and both had me switch to a 5G compatible SIM card. You can probably pickup and activate a 5G SIM card at the AT&T store in under 15 minutes.

Axel F.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2021 10:26 AM in response to CharPatton

Turn OFF Wi-Fi and see whether the iPhone 12 Pro displays 5G as the cellular connection. If it displays LTE then you are still on the 4G Network.

Furthermore, I recommend that you contact AT&T and ask them whether you should be using a 5G SIM Card. I am with Verizon and T-Mobile and both had me switch to a 5G compatible SIM card. You can probably pickup and activate a 5G SIM card at the AT&T store in under 15 minutes.

Axel F.

New AT&T SIM card for iPhone 12 Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.