Related Article: What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

But what if after I do all this to wipe my computer before I sell it, the computer now starts up with a Folder with a question mark?

I turn on the computer and now it only shows me a folder with a question mark. I have tried to reinstall the OS X Mountain Lion but there is no disk to select when it tells me to "select the disk where you want to install OS X."

I did read a couple articles about needing to create a partition but it wasn't clear on exactly what to do, so I held off.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2021 12:15 PM

When you get a question mark it means that you have erased the operating system from the hard drive. Apparently, you read some articles with incorrect information. I suggest you check the links below for the correct way to prepare your computer for sale.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2021 12:15 PM in response to CCR3N1DAD

When you get a question mark it means that you have erased the operating system from the hard drive. Apparently, you read some articles with incorrect information. I suggest you check the links below for the correct way to prepare your computer for sale.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

But what if after I do all this to wipe my computer before I sell it, the computer now starts up with a Folder with a question mark?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.