You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud signin "Failure to verify your identity"

A client of mine is trying to login into her iCloud account via a browser on a remote desktop Windows 10 machine. Meaning she is connected via RDP to a Windows 10 machine and is then trying to login to iCloud using Firefox, or Edge, or Chrome, and every time it gives her the message "Failed to verify your identity, Try again". I'm not sure if she has 2FA enabled, but even if so, it never gets to the point of sending her a code as this error comes first.

When it says "Verify your identity", is there something more it's looking at other than the password? Normally whenever I sign into my apple account from a new machine, it still accepts my password, but just sends me a 2FA code after that initial step.

We recently changed hosting providers for our remote desktop. It used to be running Windows Server 2008 R2 and the machine was completely isolated from the public internet, but she was able to use iCloud on that machine. The new machine is a Windows 10 pro system and is also completely isolated except for the RDP port. But since she's connecting through a browser, I doubt it would be a port issue since the browser couldn't open ports to listen on plus it worked with the old RDP machine.

Both hosting services are located in Los Angeles where we are.

Any thoughts?

Servers/Datacom

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 4:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 2:32 PM

I've got a little more info on this. I tried to login to https://www.icloud.com from the remote desktop machine and I also get the "Failure to verify your identity" message. Looking at the developer tools in the browser, it appears the post message is coming back with error 502 - Bad Gateway.

I can, however, sign in to apple.com and to the support community here with no problem. Seems to be just iCloud that's causing the issue.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 2, 2021 2:32 PM in response to brucehcali

I've got a little more info on this. I tried to login to https://www.icloud.com from the remote desktop machine and I also get the "Failure to verify your identity" message. Looking at the developer tools in the browser, it appears the post message is coming back with error 502 - Bad Gateway.

I can, however, sign in to apple.com and to the support community here with no problem. Seems to be just iCloud that's causing the issue.

iCloud signin "Failure to verify your identity"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.