Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac new account refuses to verify Apple ID

I want to set up a new account on my MacBook Pro connected to its own Apple ID - basically so I have a work and personal account with their own apple ids

I created a new account on the Mac but it refuses to verify / 2FA the apple id. I've tried trusted device, SMS and phone but nothing is received. If I log in for first time via safari with the same Apple ID I get the verification code pop up on my trusted device (iPhone) and it all works fine.

I've tried restarting and shutting down for a few minutes to no avail and generating my own code from the trusted device in the Password and Security section

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 26, 2022 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2022 8:50 AM

Thanks for the reply - It wasn't a new MacBook set up just a new account + Apple ID adding to an existing machine.

I still don't know why that screen wouldn't work but I managed to get it working by going to internet accounts in system preferences and logging into iCloud; taking that path everything worked as expected for some reason :)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2022 8:50 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for the reply - It wasn't a new MacBook set up just a new account + Apple ID adding to an existing machine.

I still don't know why that screen wouldn't work but I managed to get it working by going to internet accounts in system preferences and logging into iCloud; taking that path everything worked as expected for some reason :)

May 26, 2022 7:21 AM in response to RuggedIsland

RuggedIsland wrote:

I want to set up a new account on my MacBook Pro connected to its own Apple ID - basically so I have a work and personal account with their own apple ids

I created a new account on the Mac but it refuses to verify / 2FA the apple id. I've tried trusted device, SMS and phone but nothing is received. If I log in for first time via safari with the same Apple ID I get the verification code pop up on my trusted device (iPhone) and it all works fine.

I've tried restarting and shutting down for a few minutes to no avail and generating my own code from the trusted device in the Password and Security section

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/8a58aded-a277-4745-b942-91c4bc6e5de1

Add new account

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Mac new account refuses to verify Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.