Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-installing Big Sur 11.1: What is safest/best way? And required to be logged in to Apple ID?

Questions regarding re-installing Big Sur:

Device: 2015 MacBook 12” Retina. Current OS: Big Sur 11.1

I bought this MacBook secondhand from a local interior-design company that was downsizing. They kindly had wiped the drive and installed Big Sur 11.1 on it before selling it. When I bought it, they said it would be wise for me to re-install Big Sur 11.1 so that I could start completely fresh, since they had created the main User account to be called “Sell” and also their old company AppleID was still the default active AppleID account on the computer, even though it was a new fresh install. My questions are:

• It is indeed necessary (or wise) to re-install Big Sur, since I don’t really know for sure what programs they may have installed on it or how they may have fiddled with the OS before selling it to me?

• In earlier versions of OS X that I was familiar with, it was not possible to change the “short User name,” once it has been created. Is that still true in Big Sur? Or would I actually be able to fundamentally rename the “Sell” admin account. I suspect the answer is "No,” which is my main reason for re-installing the OS.

• If I re-install, will I be able to wipe away the original pre-existing admin User account completely, and in its place create a whole new top-level Admin account called whatever I choose?

• If I can indeed completely remove the old User account during re-installation, then (in theory) what would happen to any user-created files that previously had been stored in HD>Users>[old-account-name]? In reality I still have not created (or migrated or transferred) any user-created files to this MacBook, so I’m not in danger of losing anything — I’m just curious about what would happen to a User’s files if that User’s entire account was wiped out during re-installation.

• In order to re-install Big Sur 11.1, must I be logged in to an AppleID account? This wasn’t the case in previous versions of OS X that I’m familiar with, but with Apple’s new software downloading protocols (that I’m still learning about), I suspect that perhaps it might be necessary to be logged in to re-install the OS. And if I indeed must be logged in to an AppleID, will that AppleID be the default account to which I will still be logged in after installation? Will I be able to later log out and  re-log in to a different AppleID account? Will the name associated with the AppleID account I used for re-installation in be somehow forever associated with this installation?

• To initiate the re-install, should I first shut down the MacBook completely, and then re-boot in “Safe Mode,” and start the re-installation from within Safe Mode? How is that (rebooting in Safe Mode, and then reinstalling from Safe Mode) done in Big Sur?

Any advice — even answering only one of my questions — would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 11:42 AM

Actually, I have by now already taken the plunge and reinstalled Big Sur. And it was not required to be logged into an Apple ID account to start and complete the reinstallation. Then, in the process of going through the post-installation Setup Assistant, I came to the point where they ask what my Apple ID is, and (from what I can recall) there was an option to "Skip this step," and not enter one's Apple ID during the Setup, but do so later, if you want. Which is what I chose to do -- later.

So it looks like your answer was a bit inaccurate, because you said "...you will need to add an Apple ID at that point," but in my experience I didn't need to, but simply were presented with the option to.

So, I found the answer by just blindly plunging forward and doing the reinstallation without knowing ahead of time what would happen, but luckily the answer is, "No, it not required to be logged in to an Apple ID to reinstall Big Sur, nor is it required to be logged in to an Apple ID to finish the post-installation 'Setup Assistant'."

But yes, you were correct that choosing to completely erase the Hard Drive before re-installation will indeed wipe out all trace of the previous User and all trace of their files.

Anyway: Solved!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2021 11:42 AM in response to SnickZ.

Actually, I have by now already taken the plunge and reinstalled Big Sur. And it was not required to be logged into an Apple ID account to start and complete the reinstallation. Then, in the process of going through the post-installation Setup Assistant, I came to the point where they ask what my Apple ID is, and (from what I can recall) there was an option to "Skip this step," and not enter one's Apple ID during the Setup, but do so later, if you want. Which is what I chose to do -- later.

So it looks like your answer was a bit inaccurate, because you said "...you will need to add an Apple ID at that point," but in my experience I didn't need to, but simply were presented with the option to.

So, I found the answer by just blindly plunging forward and doing the reinstallation without knowing ahead of time what would happen, but luckily the answer is, "No, it not required to be logged in to an Apple ID to reinstall Big Sur, nor is it required to be logged in to an Apple ID to finish the post-installation 'Setup Assistant'."

But yes, you were correct that choosing to completely erase the Hard Drive before re-installation will indeed wipe out all trace of the previous User and all trace of their files.

Anyway: Solved!

Feb 4, 2021 12:38 PM in response to Tuffy Nicolas

Hey there Tuffy Nicolas,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you have questions about restoring your MacBook back to factory settings and setting it up with your contact information now. We'd like to help.

When purchasing a device second hand, the most important thing to look at is if there is an Activation Lock on the Mac. This resource can help you identify if this Mac has that feature enabled: About Activation Lock on your Mac.

If there is no Activation Lock on the Mac, you should be able to Erase and reinstall macOS easily. Those steps will walk you through that.

Hope that gets you started on this process! Let us know if you have additional questions.

Take care!

Feb 14, 2021 2:08 PM in response to Tuffy Nicolas

Tuffy,

Got it. Thanks for the additional information.

We understand wanting to make sure you complete the steps the best way possible so you can use the Mac as your own after setting it up. From what you've described, it sounds like this resource will answer your questions on how to best get that done:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

Erasing and reinstalling macOS through this process will remove all traces of that current Admin account and Apple ID associated with the Mac.

Hope that helps!

Feb 14, 2021 2:23 PM in response to ManJor

OK, that's helpful! I will do all those steps.

I know that I'd find out the answer to the following question as soon as I start to reinstall, but I'd like to know ahead of time, and this detail is not mentioned in those support articles:

After I follow the steps in "What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac" and then proceed to reinstalling Big Sur from scratch on a factory reset computer, will I be required to log in to (or create) an Apple ID to complete the reinstallation? Or is it possible to reinstall Big Sur on an erased computer without ever logging in to an Apple ID?

Feb 15, 2021 3:39 PM in response to Tuffy Nicolas

Tuffy,

Glad to hear that those steps were helpful!

When completing the steps provided, the Apple ID and user data will be removed from the Mac. When you get to the Setup Assistant, you will need to add an Apple ID at that point. If you are going to be the user of this Mac, this is when you can add your details. If you are planning on gifting, or selling, this Mac, it's better to have the new owner set up the Mac at that point.

While it may not be the exact Mac you have, these steps can help you get through that Setup process: Set up your MacBook Pro

We're here if you have any other questions!

Have a great day.

Feb 13, 2021 4:45 PM in response to ryane77

The good news: My computer does not have Activation Lock, so I have total access to it and complete control of everything.

The bad news: I have now read the support page link you provided in detail, but it does not actually answer most of my questions. I still don't know...

-- if it is required or necessary to be signed in to an Apple ID account to erase and reinstall Big Sur

-- whether or not a full "erase and reinstall" will completely wipe away all trace of the current admin user account

-- and if it does wipe out the current admin account, what would happen to any files currently "in" that account's home folder

-- if the name associated with the AppleID account I used for re-installation will forever associated with this installation.

I realize these questions might seem trivial and odd, but I want to make sure I do the reinstallation "right" the first time, and not mess it up somehow, or forever be stuck with a user name or Apple ID that I might later want to change. Any clarification about any of these questions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Re-installing Big Sur 11.1: What is safest/best way? And required to be logged in to Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.