Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autoboot on the MacBook M1? ..... Can't disable NIGHTMARE problem

You can't disable the Autoboot on the M1 Mac. If you open it, it boots. If you touch any key, it boots. If you hold it near anything magnetized, it boots. If your cat walks across it in the middle of the night.... it boots. Sometimes it boots without doing anything at all. I was on the line with apple support and they said this is EXPECTED BEHAVIOR..... What kind of answer is that? What a waste of time. It means that the M1 chip is not working as expected. Please Apple fix this problem or it's return and refund time...

I miss Steve Jobs. Uncle Steve would admit that this is not expected behavior.

Nuff Said!

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2021 12:46 PM

Hello,

This is expected behavior. Mine does it as well, and it's designed to be this way. There's not really a dedicated power on button, so..

If you want to return and get something less powerful than the M1, go right ahead. You'll miss it.

At the end of the day, this is a very powerful notebook for what you're getting and paying for.

I do wonder, why do you not like the 'auto on' feature? You just open your MacBook to look at the dark, blank screen? lol

Thanks

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2021 12:46 PM in response to tuppy1

Hello,

This is expected behavior. Mine does it as well, and it's designed to be this way. There's not really a dedicated power on button, so..

If you want to return and get something less powerful than the M1, go right ahead. You'll miss it.

At the end of the day, this is a very powerful notebook for what you're getting and paying for.

I do wonder, why do you not like the 'auto on' feature? You just open your MacBook to look at the dark, blank screen? lol

Thanks

Feb 4, 2021 9:22 AM in response to tuppy1

You can partially turn the feature off at least when opening the display by using the following command in the Terminal app:

sudo  nvram  AutoBoot=%00

You will be prompted for your admin password. Nothing will appear on the screen as you type your password and you need to press the "Return" key to submit both the password and at the end of the line for the above command to execute it.

Here is an article with more detailed instructions (it should work with any Intel Mac even though the article mentions pre-2016 models):

https://osxdaily.com/2017/01/19/disable-boot-on-open-lid-macbook-pro/

Unfortunately it does not affect powering on the system with pressing any key (extremely annoying as there is no safe way to clean the keys now).

Feb 4, 2021 10:05 AM in response to HWTech

Thanks for this information.

Terminal commands should only be used by those who are understanding on what they're doing. In the future, if tuppy1 were to call in and not recall what they've done the solution given would probably be to erase and reinstall macOS.

The actual solution would be to reset NVRAM, however, I don't believe M1 has NVRAM reset as the M1 runs checks whenever it boots. [https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063] NVRAM only applies to intel. tuppy1 has a M1.

I will try it on my personal M1, however, I'm having serious doubts about it working.

Feb 4, 2021 12:41 PM in response to Azayaka_

Azayaka_ wrote:

The actual solution would be to reset NVRAM, however, I don't believe M1 has NVRAM reset as the M1 runs checks whenever it boots. [https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063] NVRAM only applies to intel. tuppy1 has a M1.

I will try it on my personal M1, however, I'm having serious doubts about it working.

Thanks! I somehow missed the M1 in the subject, but I did highlight Intel in my post.

Autoboot on the MacBook M1? ..... Can't disable NIGHTMARE problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.